Obtain work permit for seasonal employment of foreigners Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

For the temporary employment of foreigners as seasonal workers, the employer must apply for a work permit from the Federal Employment Agency.

Foreigners may take up seasonal employment in Germany provided that the Federal Employment Agency has concluded a placement agreement with the employment administration of the respective country of origin. On this basis, the Federal Employment Agency can issue a work permit for seasonal employment. The work permit can be issued for assignments in the following economic sectors:

  • agriculture and forestry
  • Horticulture
  • Hotel and catering trade
  • Fruit and vegetable processing
  • Sawmills

As an employer, you must apply for the work permit at the Federal Employment Agency. The seasonal employment may not exceed 90 days per period of 180 days and may not exceed 6 months within a period of 12 months.

  • Proof of pay, working hours and other working conditions for your seasonal workers, e.g. employment contracts
  • Evidence of health insurance cover and accommodation for your seasonal workers.
  • Copies of the seasonal workers' travel documents, for example, passports

Forms: yes
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no

You can obtain the form "Your job offer for seasonal workers in agriculture" from the responsible employer service of the Federal Employment Agency.

Related Links

  • Antragsseite der Bundesagentur für Arbeit


In order to obtain the work permit, you must be able to prove that the seasonal workers you wish to employ,

  • have adequate health insurance,
  • have adequate housing,
  • have a definite job offer or a valid employment contract...
  • will work at least 30 hours per week.

The work permit will not be issued if

  • the foreigner is already residing in the territory of the Federal Republic of Germany, unless
    • the person has entered the country to take up the seasonal employment for which the work permit is requested, or
    • the work permit is requested for seasonal employment that is contiguous to prior seasonal employment
  • the seasonal employee has applied for asylum; or
  • the seasonal employee has not fulfilled the obligations of a previous seasonal employment, or
  • your company is in insolvency proceedings, or
  • your company is not (any longer) in business.

Related Links

  • § 15a Absatz 1 Nummer 1 Verordnung über die Beschäftigung von Ausländerinnen und Ausländern (Beschäftigungsverordnung - BeschV)
  • § 39 Gesetz über den Aufenthalt, die Erwerbstätigkeit und die Integration von Ausländern im Bundesgebiet (Aufenthaltsgesetz - AufenthG)

Related Links

  • Online-Portal des Bundesamts für Migration und Flüchtlinge zur Suche nach Ausländerbehörden in Ihrer Nähe
  • Informationen zur Arbeitsmarktzulassung für Arbeitskräfte aus dem Ausland auf der Internetseite der Bundesagentur für Arbeit
  • Merkblatt der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zur Beschäftigung ausländischer Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer in Deutschland
  • Liste der regionalen Beratungsstellen der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zum Thema Arbeitsmarktzulassung

To obtain a work permit for foreign seasonal workers, you must submit an application:

  • Go to the Federal Employment Agency's application page, fill out the application and submit it to your local labor market admissions team.
  • The Federal Employment Agency will review your application and ask you to submit evidence of pay, hours and other working conditions.
  • If your application is approved, you will receive a decision from the Federal Employment Agency.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication