Obtain prior approval from the Federal Employment Agency for the employment of foreign workers in Germany Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you as an employer would like to employ foreign skilled workers who come from third countries, the Federal Employment Agency must generally agree to this. You can have it checked in advance whether the requirements for approval are met.

The nationality of a skilled worker determines whether he or she requires a permit to take up employment in Germany. Nationals of EU member states, the European Economic Area and Switzerland do not need a work permit; nationals of other states (third countries) can obtain one under certain conditions.
In order for you as an employer to be able to employ foreign workers from third countries, your future employees need a visa from the foreign representation (embassy or consulate) in their country of origin or a residence permit from the municipal foreigners authority in Germany. Both must allow them to work or train in Germany. In many cases, the Federal Employment Agency (Bundesagentur für Arbeit, BA) must approve the employment so that a corresponding visa or residence title can be issued.
This is possible in various ways:

  • The foreigners authority, the embassy or the consulate involve the BA in an internal administrative procedure within the authority.
  • Alternatively, you as an employer can speed up this process: You can ask the BA directly whether the employment of a foreign worker in your company is approved (so-called advance approval).

The advance approval is valid for 6 months from the date of issue. The visa or residence title must be issued within this period so that no renewed examination by the BA is necessary.

  • Declaration on the employment relationship
  • Supplementary documents (e.g. references from previous employers, if required)
  • Forms: yes
  • Online procedure possible: no
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: no

Related Links

  • Formular "Erklärung zum Beschäftigungsverhältnis"
  • Zusatzblatt A (Aufenthaltstitel zur Durchführung des Anerkennungsverfahrens)
  • Zusatzblatt B (Aufenthaltstitel im Rahmen einer Entsendung)


In order for you to receive pre-approval,

  • you must present a concrete job offer and
  • the application has not yet been submitted to the diplomatic mission or the aliens' registration office.

Further requirements may arise depending on the specific employment and the intended visa or residence title.

Related Links

  • § 36 Absatz 3 Verordnung über die Beschäftigung von Ausländerinnen und Ausländern (Beschäftigungsverordnung - BeschV)
  • § 39 Gesetz über den Aufenthalt, die Erwerbstätigkeit und die Integration von Ausländern im Bundesgebiet (Aufenthaltsgesetz - AufenthG)

Related Links

  • Informationen zur Arbeitsmarktzulassung für Arbeitskräfte aus dem Ausland auf der Internetseite der Bundesagentur für Arbeit
  • Merkblatt der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zur Beschäftigung ausländischer Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer in Deutschland
  • Liste der regionalen Beratungsstellen der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zum Thema Arbeitsmarktzulassung
  • Informationen zur qualifizierten Beschäftigung ausländischer Fachkräfte in Deutschland auf make-it-in-germany.com
  • Online-Portal des Bundesamts für Migration und Flüchtlinge zur Suche nach Ausländerbehörden in Ihrer Nähe
  • Migration-Check für Arbeitgeber auf der Internetseite der Bundesagentur für Arbeit

To initiate the pre-approval process, you must submit a written request:

  • Download the form "Declaration of employment relationship" from the website of the Federal Employment Agency and fill it in.
    • For certain occupations, it may also be necessary to provide additional information. In this case, fill in either supplementary sheet A (residence title for the purpose of carrying out the recognition procedure) or supplementary sheet B (residence title in the context of a posting).
  • Send the documents to the employment agency responsible for you.
  • The Employment Agency will check your documents. If necessary, you will be asked to submit further documents, for example an employment contract.
  • If the result of the check is positive, you will receive a letter of approval for employment, which you will pass on to the foreign worker or the competent agency.
  • As a rule, the employee submits this letter to the competent foreigners authority, embassy or consulate when applying for a visa or residence title.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication