Claiming transitional allowance for people with disabilities Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

As a person with disabilities, you can receive a transitional allowance to cover your living expenses if you take part in certain educational measures.

You will receive a transitional allowance as a subsistence benefit in connection with a special benefit for participation in working life, for example, for participation in a further training measure in a special facility for disabled persons.

As a rule, your previous gross pay is the basis for the calculation.

The amount of your transitional allowance also depends on your personal situation, for example

  • whether you have a child or a stepchild who has been adopted into your household, or
  • whether your spouse/partner living in the same household as you is unable to work because he or she is caring for you or needs care himself or herself.

You will receive the full amount of the transitional allowance even if you are taking part-time measures.

You can receive the transitional allowance for the entire duration of your measure.

If you are no longer able to participate in the measure for health reasons alone, but are expected to be able to participate again, the transitional allowance will continue to be paid for up to 6 weeks, but no longer than until the scheduled end of the measure.

For absences for reasons other than health, you will only be entitled to transitional allowance if the Employment Agency recognises an important reason for the interruption of participation. Important reasons include, for example

  • Marriage
  • birth of a child
  • change of residence
  • attending a court hearing.

The transitional allowance is paid monthly in arrears as an allowance.

You will be supported by the Federal Employment Agency in your vocational rehabilitation if no other rehabilitation agency is responsible.

When you contact your counsellor, please ask which documents you need in addition to the questionnaire for transitional allowance and participation costs.

Forms: on request
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no


As a rule, you are entitled to a transitional allowance if the following conditions apply to you:

  • You have a disability and need special support to integrate into working life.
  • They will participate in one of the following measures:
    • Vocational training,
    • vocational preparation including necessary basic training,
    • individual in-company qualification within the framework of "Supported Employment",
    • measures in the entry procedure or vocational training area of a workshop for disabled people or with another service provider, or
    • further vocational training.
  • For the period of the last 3 years (pre-employment period), one of the following prerequisites applies to you:
    • You have been covered by social insurance for at least 12 months.
    • You are entitled to unemployment benefit according to SGB III and have currently applied for it.
    • You are entitled to unemployment benefit under the Soldiers' Pensions Act (SVG).

There are the following exceptions:

  • If you are a vocational returnee or a vocational returnee with disabilities, the limitation of the pre-employment period to 3 years does not apply to you.
  • The conditions of the pre-employment period may be waived completely if, within the last year before the start of the measure, you have
    • have obtained a training qualification at a vocational school or other vocational training institution and this training corresponds to vocational training in a recognised training occupation, or
    • have obtained an examination certificate which has been equated with the final certificate of vocational training in a recognised training occupation.

Related Links

  • § 66 Sozialgesetzbuch Neuntes Buch (SGB IX)
  • § 67 Sozialgesetzbuch Neuntes Buch (SGB IX)
  • § 68 Sozialgesetzbuch Neuntes Buch (SGB IX)
  • § 69 Sozialgesetzbuch Neuntes Buch (SGB IX)
  • § 70 Sozialgesetzbuch Neuntes Buch (SGB IX)
  • § 71 Sozialgesetzbuch Neuntes Buch (SGB IX)
  • § 72 Sozialgesetzbuch Neuntes Buch (SGB IX)
  • § 118 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)
  • § 119 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)
  • § 120 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)
  • § 121 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)

Related Links

  • Informationen für Menschen mit Behinderungen auf der Internetseite der Bundesagentur für Arbeit
  • Merkblatt 12: Förderung der Teilhabe am Arbeitsleben für Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer. Dienste und Leistungen der Agentur für Arbeit

If you want to apply for the transitional allowance in connection with a vocational integration measure, proceed as follows:

  • Make an appointment for a consultation at your employment agency.
  • In a personal meeting, you will discuss the possibilities for your occupational integration with your adviser. Together with you, your adviser will check your prerequisites and determine the necessary measures and benefits.
  • If you are entitled to a transitional allowance in connection with a measure for participation in working life, you will receive the necessary forms after the consultation.
  • Fill out the forms and submit them to the Employment Agency along with the necessary documents.
  • You will then receive a decision.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication