Apply for a loan or needs grant for training Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you find yourself in a financial emergency situation during your education, you may be eligible for a loan or grant under certain circumstances.

During in-company training or vocational preparation training, you may have a supplementary claim to unemployment benefit II. However, vocational training allowance or training allowance should be claimed first. The same applies if you are a pupil in a school education who receives benefits according to BAföG. Even if you receive BAföG during your studies and live in your parents' household, you can receive supplementary unemployment benefit II. Therefore, the following benefits are not relevant for you.

If you are studying and do not live with your parents, are in training and do not have a claim to training assistance under BAföG (for example, because you have exceeded the maximum period of assistance or the age limit) or are in training and are accommodated in a boarding school, the following benefits are relevant for you:

Benefits for supplementary additional needs

Under certain conditions, you can apply for an allowance for so-called additional needs in addition to the educational support (for example BAföG benefits). These include:

  • Additional needs for expectant mothers
  • Additional needs for single parents
  • Additional needs for medically necessary costly nutrition
  • Additional needs if there is an unavoidable, ongoing and not just one-off special need in the individual case (for example, costs for exercising the right of access).

If you have income that exceeds your standard needs and the costs of your accommodation and heating, the excess amount is deducted from the benefit for additional needs.

Initial equipment in the case of pregnancy and birth

If you are pregnant or have given birth to a child, you are entitled to additional financial support for initial equipment, for example, clothing or furniture. The condition is that you are in a financial emergency situation.

Hardship loan

In cases of special hardship, you can receive a loan during your education. This is possible if exceptional, serious circumstances endanger your education and/or you find yourself in an emergency situation that threatens your existence.
You can receive a hardship loan if you do not receive BAföG or if your BAföG benefits are not sufficient to cover your living expenses and you are not in a position to remedy the situation by taking up gainful employment.
You must repay the interest-free hardship loan after completing your education.

Hardship grant

If you are a pupil undergoing school-based training and do not receive a training grant because you have exceeded certain age limits and are a hardship case, you may be able to receive a grant if it is absolutely necessary for your integration into working life. The allowance can be paid for

  • standard and additional needs,
  • accommodation and heating costs,
  • contributions to health and long-term care insurance.

The age limit for educational grants is generally 30 years, further exceptions are possible.
Students cannot receive a hardship grant, but only a hardship loan.
Note: The regulations for the hardship grant are expiring. You can only receive it if you started your education before 31 December 2020.

Transitional loan

If you are already receiving basic income support benefits and are starting an apprenticeship, you may be eligible for a transitional loan for the first month. This loan can help you bridge a financial gap until you receive your first training allowance or training grant. It prevents your start in training from being jeopardised. It is only granted for the first month of training and is paid at the beginning of the month. The amount is based on unemployment benefit II.
You have to pay back the interest-free loan after the training.

  • Income declaration (annex to determine your income situation)
  • Declaration of assets (annex to determine your financial circumstances)

Forms: yes
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: yes


If you find yourself in a financial emergency situation at the start of or during your training, you can apply for trainee benefits. The following applies:


  • As a trainee, you are not entitled to social benefits such as unemployment benefit II, and
  • You are in a financial emergency situation and
  • You are unable to provide for your own living expenses.
  • As a rule, you can benefit from the above-mentioned services:
    • Students who do not live with their parents
    • students who have reached the age limit according to § 10 paragraph 3 BAföG
    • Trainees in vocational training who are accommodated
      • in a boarding school
      • in a hall of residence or
      • with their instructor with full board.

Loans in general

  • Without a loan, the start of your education or its successful completion would be jeopardized for financial reasons.

Hardship loan

  • You are not able to earn extra money through a part-time job, for example because
    • you are a single parent or
    • you have a disability or
    • you are caring for a relative or
    • your residence permit in Germany does not allow it.
  • You can be classified as a hardship case if extraordinary, serious and, if possible, externally caused circumstances endanger your education and/or you find yourself in an existentially threatening emergency situation.

Hardship grant

  • Only for training courses that are started before 31 December 2020.
  • You are at least 30 years old and can therefore no longer receive BAföG due to your age and
  • You are in a school education at a vocational school, without whose completion your professional integration is seriously endangered.
  • You can be classified as a hardship case if exceptional, serious circumstances, which are as far as possible the fault of others, endanger your training and/or you find yourself in an emergency situation which threatens your existence.

Related Links

  • § 27 Zweites Buch Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB II)
  • § 7 Absatz 5 und 6 Zweites Buch Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB II)
  • § 21 Absatz 2, 3, 5 und 6 Zweites Buch Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB II)
  • § 24 Absatz 3 Nummer 2 und Absatz 4 Zweites Buch Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB II)

Related Links

  • Fachliche Weisungen der Bundesagentur für Arbeit: § 27 SGB II, Leistungen für Auszubildende
  • Merkblatt zum Arbeitslosengeld II und Sozialgeld der Agentur für Arbeit (Seite 42 bis 44)

You must apply for a loan or grant in writing:

  • Find out about the application procedure at the job centre responsible for your place of residence.
  • You can pick up the application form for a grant or loan there or have it sent to you.
  • Fill in the application form.
  • If you are not yet of age, have a parent or guardian sign the form.
  • Send the form back to your Jobcentre.
  • The Jobcentre will check your claim.
  • The Jobcenter will check your assets and income.
  • The Jobcenter makes a decision at its discretion and on a case-by-case basis.
    • Hardship allowance: The responsible placement officer will decide whether you meet the requirements for an allowance.
  • You will receive a decision as to whether your application has been approved or rejected.
  • If you are granted a loan, the Jobcenter will agree with you when and how you will pay back the money.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication