Apply for a loan in certain acute emergency situations Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you receive unemployment benefit II or social welfare benefit, this includes a flat-rate amount of money for standard needs. This lump sum for standard needs includes not only current needs but also needs that arise irregularly or at long intervals. The amount of the standard need depends on the respective standard need level assigned to you, which depends on your age and your family situation. The standard need covers the following needs in particular: Food, clothing, personal hygiene, household goods, household energy, excluding the part used for heating and hot water production, and personal daily needs (including participation in the social and cultural life of the community). If, due to special circumstances, you need more money at short notice for your everyday needs than the standard need for your individual case provides for and you can neither pay for these costs yourself nor postpone them, the Job Centre will grant you an interest-free loan for the unavoidable need on application. An unavoidable need exists it cannot be postponed and a loan is therefore unavoidable in order to avoid an acute emergency situation, and it cannot be expected that you will be able to compensate for this need with the next benefits to cover the standard need (Arbeitslosengeld II or Sozialgeld). Examples are: necessary repairs, necessary purchases (for example, new winter clothing for growing children), the threat of having your electricity supply (household electricity) cut off because of so-called "new debts", unless you can cover them in some other way, for example by agreeing to pay by instalments with the utility company, theft or loss, and apartment or house fire. You will need to apply for the loan separately and you will generally need to provide evidence of the unavoidable need. However, if you have assets that are within the allowance limits, you must first use them to finance the expenses. Depending on the circumstances, the Job Centre may also instruct its field staff to determine the need. The Jobcenter may also decide that you will receive benefits in kind instead of money. The amount of the loan then corresponds exactly to the value of the required need. You must use the loan for the purpose for which it was granted. The job centre may ask for proof of this (for example, proof of purchase). You must repay the loan. The loan will be added to your standard needs each month: In the case of 1 loan: 10 per cent of your standard need (of the relevant standard need level). If you have several loans: a maximum of 30 percent of your standard needs (of the standard needs level that applies). You will be told in writing how the loan will be set off in your specific case. Repayment begins in the month following the disbursement of the loan.

Evidence that there is an unavoidable need and to what extent, for example Notice of theft, cost estimate or order for repairs and/or current bank statements

Forms: depending on job centre Online procedure possible: no Written form required: no Personal appearance required: no If a form is offered, you will receive it from the Jobcenter on site.

In order to get the loan from the Jobcenter, you have to prove that: You have an acute, one-off need which, by its nature, is part of your everyday needs (standard need), you cannot compensate for this need with the benefit provided for this purpose (unemployment benefit II or social benefit) and you do not have any assets, you have no other possibility to cover the need (e.g. via second-hand goods store or clothing store) and, the need is unavoidable. This applies, if you cannot postpone it and you cannot compensate for the need with the next benefits to cover the standard need.

The BA's technical directives only bind the job centres that are run in the form of a joint institution (gE) of the Federal Employment Agency and the local authority (municipality or district). In this respect, supervision is the responsibility of the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs (BMAS). In addition, there are job centres which are run as approved municipal providers (zkT) (so-called option municipalities). In this respect, supervision is the responsibility of the respective Länder.
In order to get the loan, you have to apply for it at your job centre. If possible, get in touch with your contact person at the job centre. Make an application. You can also submit an informal application. Submit your application with all the supporting documents to your job centre. The Jobcenter will check your application and your documents. You will receive a decision from the Jobcenter about the decision on your application (approved or rejected). As a rule, the loan amount will be transferred to your account. This is usually different, for example, in the case of electricity debts with the threat of an electricity cut-off. The loan amount is then generally transferred directly to your utility company.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication