Apply for one-off benefits Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Moving house, pregnancy, childbirth: if you lack money for certain situations in your life, you can apply for one-off benefits.

If you have no or only a small income of your own, you can apply for one-off benefits in special situations. It does not matter whether you have been receiving money from the Job Centre or not. Situations in which you may be entitled to one-off benefits are, for example, if:

  • You are expecting a child and therefore need new equipment and clothes.
  • You need furniture or household appliances for the first time or have to buy new ones after a divorce.
  • You need orthopedic shoes or have them repaired.
  • You need therapeutic devices or equipment repaired.

In these and other cases, you can apply for either a cash benefit or a benefit in kind (vouchers) from the Job Centre.

Contact your regional Jobcentre before making an application. In many cases, the Jobcenter uses its own application form, but sometimes an informal application with a statement of reasons is sufficient. The amount of one-off benefits may vary from region to region.

  • Identity card or passport
  • Proof of income
  • if applicable:
    • Proof of assets
    • Tenancy agreement, proof of rent payment or house encumbrances
    • Maternity passport or certificate from the doctor confirming the date of delivery
    • Prescription
    • Cost estimates

Please ask the job centre responsible for you which documents you need to submit for your case.

Forms: depending on job centre
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: no, informal application also possible
Personal appearance required: no

You will receive any necessary form from the Jobcenter on site.


If you are fit for work and are unlikely to be able to cover your living expenses at the moment and also in the next 6 months, you can apply for one-off benefits as a cash benefit or benefit in kind (voucher).

  • The one-off benefit must also be necessary
  • The benefit must then be used exclusively for what is claimed, i.e. for
    • the initial furnishing of your home,
    • the initial provision of clothing and initial provision for pregnancy and childbirth,
    • the purchase and repair of orthopaedic shoes, the repair of therapeutic appliances and equipment, and the hire of therapeutic equipment.


The one-off benefits pursuant to § 24 (3) sentence 1 numbers 1 and 2 SGB II are provided under the responsibility of the municipal providers. The amount of the benefits may therefore vary from region to region.

Related Links

  • § 24 Absatz 3 Satz 1 Sozialgesetzbuch Zweites Buch (SGB II)

Related Links

  • Fachliche Weisungen zu § 24 SGB II, allerdings nur zu den orthopädischen Schuhen und therapeutischen Geräten

For one-off benefits, first contact your local job centre by phone, e-mail or in person. There you will receive further information and an application form, if you need one.

  • Fill in the application form or write a well-founded, informal application, depending on the requirements of your responsible job centre.
  • Send the application to the Jobcentre. In it, you must provide evidence of your need. Enclose the necessary documents requested by the Jobcentre to prove your need and required for the assessment.
  • The Jobcenter will check your claim. Evidence from third parties (for example, your landlord) may be required to check whether you need one-off benefits. In the end, the authority will make a decision on a case-by-case basis. You will then receive a decision from the Jobcentre. There are three possible decisions:
    • the claim is approved
    • the application is partially approved
    • the claim is rejected.
  • The Jobcenter will pay you the approved amount or send you the benefit in kind (voucher).

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication