Support for young people in difficult circumstances Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

As a certified training provider, do you want to provide individual support to young people in difficult circumstances? You can receive funding from the Jobcenter for this.

The target group of support for hard-to-reach young people are young people between 15 and 25 years of age who are not or temporarily not reached by the offers of the social benefit systems. These young people are socially disadvantaged or individually impaired and are therefore unable to find a job or training place or to apply for basic social security benefits.

Within the framework of the promotion, you can support these young people in difficult life situations by giving them an additional opportunity for accompaniment, initiating educational processes and helping them to learn about and apply for basic social security benefits.

The individual problem situations of the young people and their causes are very complex.

Examples can be

  • lack of a school-leaving certificate
  • no job/training place
  • deficits in social competence, motivation, resilience and key qualifications
  • (imminent) homelessness
  • family conflicts
  • difficult biographies (growing up in a foster family/residential group or in families with long-term unemployment)
  • financial problems/debt
  • health or addiction problems

In order to be able to reach these young people, possible support services must also be individually oriented, in order to, for example
stabilise the financial situation

  • to support the application for social benefits, such as unemployment benefit II
  • to support in the search for accommodation or stabilisation of the housing situation
  • to accompany them when they go to the authorities
  • to introduce them to therapeutic treatments
  • help to build up social networks
  • to support the development of work and social behaviour or readiness for learning and education
  • to prepare for catching up on school-leaving qualifications and for taking up a job or training place.

In principle, offers of this kind are primarily provided by other social service providers (e.g. youth welfare). As a certified educational institution, you can therefore only receive funding if similar offers by these priority social service providers do not exist locally and do not have to be provided as a priority.

The funding can be publicly advertised by the Job Centre or be provided as project funding in accordance with the law on grants. Project funding must be limited in terms of time and content; institutional funding is not possible.

You have no legal claim to the funding.

Varies for award measure and project funding

Forms: Yes, required documents within the framework of the award procedure or the law on grants in the case of project funding.
Online procedure possible: Yes, in part
Written form required: Yes
Personal appearance required: No


In order for you as a provider to be allowed to provide services to support hard-to-reach young people, you must be certified according to the Accreditation and Licensing Regulation (AZAV).

In order for young people to be eligible for the support service, they must:

  • be between 15 and under 25 years of age, and
  • be sufficiently likely to be entitled to unemployment benefit II, and
  • they must in principle have the aim,
    • start and complete an apprenticeship or vocational qualification, or
    • find a job, or
    • apply for or accept social benefits.

Related Links

  • § 16h Sozialgesetzbuch Zweites Buch (SGB II)

Related Links

  • Verfahrensregelungen zu Paragraf 16h Sozialgesetzbuch II auf der Internetseite der Agentur für Arbeit
  • Ausschreibungsverfahren für Arbeitsmarktdienstleistungen auf der Seite des Bundesverwaltungsamtes
  • e-Vergabe-Plattform vom Beschaffungsamt des Bundesministeriums des Innern
  • Weiterführende Informationen zu Arbeitsmarktdienstleistungen auf der Seite des Bundesagentur für Arbeit
  • Informationen für Bildungsanbieter auf der Internetseite der Bundesagentur für Arbeit

There are two ways to obtain funding from the Hard-to-Reach Youth Grant.

  1. Procurement procedure (public contract)
    • Go to the website of the Federal Office of Administration or to the e-tendering platform of the Procurement Office of the Federal Ministry.
    • Use the search on the sites to find suitable tenders.
    • Draw up a tender on the basis of the framework conditions specified in the tender documents.
    • You will be informed of all further steps by your contact person in the application process.
  2. Project funding
    • Develop a concept for your project. Here you should also explain how much of your own funds and, if applicable, municipal state funds will be included in the financing.
    • Apply to the relevant job centre for financial support.
    • You will be informed of all further steps by your contact person at the relevant Job Centre.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication