Apply for funding for professional development Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you would like to continue your professional training, the employment agency or the job centre will pay the costs of further training for you under certain conditions.

General further education funding with the education voucher:

With an education voucher, the employment agency or the job centre can assume the costs of your further vocational training in whole or in part. Before you receive an education voucher, the relevant employment agency or job centre will check with you whether further education is necessary for you.
You can redeem the education voucher at an educational institution of your choice if it is approved for further education funding.
The further education measure itself must also be approved and fit the education voucher. The education voucher specifies, among other things:

  • the educational objective,
  • the duration until the educational goal is reached,
  • the contents of the qualification,
  • the regional area of application and
  • the period of validity in which you must have redeemed the education voucher and started your participation.

The education voucher is generally valid at your place of residence and at places that you can reach daily from home.

The further education costs that the Employment Agency or the Job Centre will pay for you usually include:

  • Course costs and costs for the aptitude test,
  • travel expenses,
  • costs for accommodation and meals away from home,
  • costs for child care.

In the case of further training that begins before the end of 31.12.2023 and leads to a qualification in recognised training occupations of at least 2 years' duration, you will receive a further training bonus of EUR 1,500 for successfully passing the final examination. If the law or ordinance provides for an intermediate examination, you will receive EUR 1,000 for passing it.

Subsequent acquisition of the lower secondary school leaving certificate:

Under certain conditions, the subsequent acquisition of a secondary school leaving certificate or an equivalent qualification is also funded.

Support for employees without a vocational qualification or with a vocational qualification that cannot be used (low-skilled workers):

If you do not yet have a vocational qualification or have not worked in your learned occupation for more than 4 years and can no longer exercise the previously learned occupation due to occupational alienation, you will be supported by assumption of the further training costs if you participate in further training measures for the subsequent acquisition of a vocational qualification.
The following are included in these 4 years

  • Periods of employment in unskilled and semi-skilled work
  • Unemployment
  • periods spent caring for relatives
  • Periods spent bringing up children

If you are unemployed during the period of further training and receive unemployment benefit, you will continue to receive your unemployment benefit from the Employment Agency or continue to receive your unemployment benefit II during the period of further training.

Acquisition of basic skills:

If you still lack basic skills in the areas of reading, writing, mathematics or information and communication technologies for further training with which you want to acquire a vocational qualification, the Employment Agency or the Job Centre can also support further training in these areas under certain conditions.

Funding for employed workers:

The Employment Agency or the relevant job centre can also promote the further training of employees, particularly if they work in occupations that can be replaced by technologies or are otherwise affected by structural change or are seeking further training in a bottleneck occupation, i.e. in an occupation in which there is a shortage of skilled workers.

In principle, your employer must contribute to the costs of the training course. He or she may also receive wage subsidies while you are undergoing further training. How large the share is depends on the size of the company:

  • Subsidies towards wages:
    • up to 25 percent for companies with 250 or more employees,
    • up to 50 per cent for small and medium-sized enterprises (10 to 249 employees) and
    • up to 75 percent for micro enterprises (less than 10 employees).
  • Grants towards course costs:
    • 100 percent in micro-enterprises with up to 9 employees,
    • up to 50 percent in enterprises with up to 249 employees,
    • up to 25 percent in companies with 250 employees or more,
    • up to 15 per cent in large enterprises with 2,500 employees or more,
    • up to 100 percent in small and medium-sized enterprises (up to 249 employees) for older employees (from the age of 45) or employees with a severe disability.
  • In addition, up to 15 percent higher subsidies for training costs and pay if there is a collective agreement or a company agreement on vocational qualification or if there is a special need for further training.
  • Assumption of the full costs of training courses and a wage subsidy of up to 100 per cent in the case of participation by low-skilled workers in further training courses with the aim of obtaining a vocational qualification.
  • Curriculum vitae
  • Testimonials
  • Forms: none
  • Online procedure possible: no
  • Written form required: no
  • Personal appearance required: yes


As a rule, the costs for your further training can be covered if

  • you have taken part in counselling by the employment agency or the job centre,
  • the further training is necessary in order to end your unemployment, to make up for a missing vocational qualification or to avert imminent unemployment
  • the individual employability is improved by the acquisition of extended vocational competences and the further training is expedient with regard to the labour market and
  • the training measure and the training provider are approved for further training funding.

Funding is also possible for employees under certain conditions if

  • the further training goes beyond an exclusively job-related short-term adaptation further training,
  • the vocational qualification was obtained at least 4 years previously,
  • you have not participated in a vocational further training course funded by the Employment Agency or the Job Centre in the last 4 years before submitting your application,
  • the further training is carried out outside the company or by an approved provider in the company,
  • lasts more than 120 hours,
  • the provider and the measure are approved, and
  • you are engaged in activities that can be replaced by technologies or are otherwise affected by structural change or you wish to learn a bottleneck occupation.

Related Links

  • § 16 Sozialgesetzbuch Zweites Buch (SGB II)
  • §§ 81 bis 85 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)
  • § 131a Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)
  • § 180 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)

Related Links

  • Informationen zur beruflichen Weiterbildung auf der Internetseite der Agentur für Arbeit
  • Merkblatt der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zur Förderung der beruflichen Weiterbildung
  • Informationen über Weiterbildungsmöglichkeiten in der Aus- und Weiterbildungsdatenbank KursNet
  • Übersicht aller Förderprogramme zur Aus- und Weiterbildung in der Förderdatenbank des Bundesministeriums für Wirtschaft und Energie

If you are unemployed or threatened by unemployment or want to obtain a vocational qualification, you can only initiate your further training support together with your placement or integration specialist:

  • To do this, make an appointment at your employment agency or job centre.
  • If you receive unemployment benefit II: the job centre responsible for your place of residence.
  • In all other cases: the employment agency responsible for your place of residence.
  • In a personal interview, it will be clarified whether you need additional qualifications in order to find a job as quickly as possible.
  • Your placement or integration specialist will then check whether you meet the requirements for assistance.
  • Under certain circumstances, the Medical Service or the Vocational Psychology Service may also be involved in determining your suitability.
  • Education voucher:
    • Your placement or integration specialist will usually issue the training voucher directly during the counselling interview.
    • You choose a suitable course yourself and register.
  • Before the start of the measure, the training provider confirms your acceptance for the course on the training voucher and informs the Employment Agency or the Job Centre. The employment agency or job centre then checks whether the course fits the education voucher and whether you meet the entry requirements. If this is the case, funding for the further training is possible and you can start with the further training.
  • You should already start applying for suitable job offers during the further education course.
  • If you become ill during the course, you must inform both the Employment Agency or the Job Centre and the training provider.
  • You will continue to be supervised by your responsible placement or integration specialist during the further training course and discuss the next steps of your job search with them, especially before the end of the further training course.

If you are in employment, discuss your further training needs with your employer. You can then contact the employment agency or job centre to clarify the next steps.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication