Apply for funding for youth hostels Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you want to modernise, refurbish or create accommodation for trainees in a youth hostel, you can receive funding from the Federal Employment Agency.

You can receive funding from the Federal Employment Agency for the conversion, modernisation, extension, new construction and equipping of a youth residence. It can fund your project either as a pro-rata interest subsidy or as a pro-rata one-off subsidy.

You can receive funding for the following measures:

  • Conversion and modernisation work such as:
    • Thermal insulation and other energy-saving measures
      • Note: Measures that can also generate income (for example, solar systems or combined heat and power plants that also feed electricity into the public grid) are excluded.
    • Elimination of structural defects
    • Improvement of the layout and functionality of the apartments
    • Noise protection measures
    • Improvement of water supply and disposal,
    • Improvement of the power supply
    • Measures for accessibility
    • Internet access
    • Fire protection measures
    • Implementation of safety standards
  • New building
  • Extension of a dormitory
  • new equipment

Special features for the respective form of grant:

Interest Subsidy

You can receive an interest subsidy to reduce the costs of a loan. The responsible Operative Service at the Agentur für Arbeit Bochum will gladly explain the concrete calculation of the grant amount to you.

One-off grant

The amount of the grant is 35 percent and in special cases a maximum of 40 percent. The grant is limited in time.

  • Declaration on the application
  • Proof of occupancy

Further necessary documents will be agreed upon individually.

Forms: yes
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no


You can receive funding for a youth hostel from the Federal Employment Agency if you want to build, convert or modernise a hostel for trainees undergoing in-company vocational training. The following requirements apply:

  • You must operate the youth hostel yourself.
  • You may only operate the facility in a cost-covering manner.
  • Commercial operation aimed at making a profit is not permitted.
  • They accept trainees from any sector and on an equal basis.
  • They grant trainees a 10 percent discount in the hall of residence if they receive vocational training allowance.
  • You are eligible for funding if you, as the provider of the hall of residence, are
    • a legal entity or
    • an association of independent charitable organizations or
    • are a non-profit association.
  • Their total costs amount to at least EUR 100,000.
  • You must not yet have started the construction or conversion work, unless the Employment Agency has granted an exception in your case.
  • There is a long-term need for your youth residence places for trainees.
  • There is a lack of training places suitable for the trainees who are to occupy your hall of residence at their place of origin.
  • Prospective trainees cannot start their training without your youth hostel.
  • Companies in the vicinity of the (planned) youth residence do not have enough trainees to fill training places.
  • You contribute an appropriate share of your own.
  • Your overall financing is secured.
  • If you want to offer new equipment, this must be connected with a construction measure in order to be eligible for funding.

Related Links

  • § 80a Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)
  • § 80b Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)

Related Links

  • Informationen auf der Internetseite der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zur Förderung von Jugendwohnheimen
  • Merkblatt der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zur Jugendwohnheimförderung
  • Anordnung des Verwaltungsrates der Agentur für Arbeit zur Förderung von Jugendwohnheimen (A Jugendwohnheime)
  • Fachliche Weisungen zur Förderung von Jugendwohnheimen der Agentur für Arbeit
  • Flyer der Bundesagentur für Arbeit zur Förderung von Jugendwohnheimen
  • The application for funding for your youth residence will be sent to you by the Bochum Employment Agency. Please contact (by telephone or electronically) the Operative Service of the Bochum Employment Agency for this purpose. The Agentur für Arbeit Bochum is your competent contact for all questions regarding subsidies.
  • You can submit your application, also informally, to any other employment agency in Germany. They will then forward your application to your contact person.
  • As soon as all documents have been submitted and all ambiguities have been clarified, you will receive a decision by mail regarding the approval or rejection of a grant.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication