Apply for support for participation in extra-company vocational training Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you do not get a training place in a company, you can take part in extra-company vocational training with a training provider under certain conditions.

Vocational training in an extra-company facility is an alternative to training in a company if you have not yet found a training place and you do not have any perspective on how to proceed in the future.
Vocational training in an extra-company facility is also an option for you if your in-company or extra-company vocational training has ended prematurely. You can then continue your training in an extra-company establishment. If possible, the previous training period will be taken into account.
It does not matter how old you are.
Your extra-company training takes place in a recognised training occupation. Liberal professions and nursing professions cannot be trained outside the company.
Your training will take place at an educational institution. The costs are covered by the employment agency or the job centre. You receive a training allowance and are covered by social insurance.
Under certain conditions, you can also receive a vocational training allowance.

For the theoretical part of the vocational training, you will attend a vocational school. Depending on the model, your practical part will take place

  • generally takes place in the workshops of the training provider, including in-company training phases, or
  • basically at a training company with which the training provider cooperates.

During the training at your training provider you can, among other things

  • Tutoring in individual subjects or in learning the German language,
  • preparation for class tests and exams,
  • support with everyday problems,
  • mediating discussions with your instructors, teachers and parents.

An experienced team of trainers, teachers and social pedagogues will accompany you during the entire time. Together with you, they develop a very personal support plan based on the training framework plan.
During the extra-company vocational training, your transition to in-company training will be supported.
If there are certain reasons, you can also complete your training part-time.
As a young person with disabilities, you can also participate in extra-company training if your individual support needs can be covered and you can participate in working life through the training.

  • You will need your most recent school report and your curriculum vitae.
  • If you are a foreigner, you will need proof of your current residence permit.
  • If you do not have a school-leaving certificate but have completed compulsory education, you will need appropriate proof.
  • If necessary, further documents to be provided by you may result from the counselling interview with your career counsellor at the Employment Agency or the integration specialists at the Job Centre.
  • Forms: none
  • Online procedure possible: no
  • Written form required: no
  • Personal appearance required: yes


You can take part in extra-company vocational training if

  • you have completed your compulsory education, regardless of whether you have a school-leaving certificate or not.
  • You have not yet found an apprenticeship and have no prospects for the future.
  • Your integration into in-company vocational training cannot be achieved with support that accompanies the training, for example with assisted training.
  • They have learning difficulties or are socially disadvantaged.

You belong to the group of persons with learning difficulties if

  • you have completed compulsory schooling but do not have a school-leaving certificate,
  • you have attended a special school with a focus on learning or
  • you are unlikely to be able to successfully complete in-company training despite having completed lower secondary school or a comparable school leaving certificate.

You belong to the group of socially disadvantaged persons,

  • if you have considerable social, personal and/or psychological problems and are therefore unable to meet the requirements of in-company vocational training.
  • Indications for this can be:
    • Behavioural problems
    • Performance deficiencies (e.g. reading and spelling deficiencies)
    • Single parents
    • Young people who have committed criminal offences
    • Young people with addiction problems
    • young people from a migrant background with language deficits or existing difficulties in settling into a foreign environment.

If you want to continue your training in an extra-company training programme because your in-company training relationship or another extra-company training relationship ended prematurely, you do not have to belong to the group of persons with learning difficulties or social disadvantages. One of the prerequisites for this is that you can complete your training within the contractual period of the measure and that a free place is available.

Special requirements for foreigners:
As a foreigner, you can generally receive the funding, taking into account the prerequisites already listed, if you are allowed to train or work in Germany - unless legally stipulated exclusions from funding apply. You can find out about this from your competent employment agency or job centre.
You are not entitled to participate in extra-company vocational training if you are

  • are staying illegally in the Federal territory,
  • came to Germany no more than 5 years ago to work, study or train,
  • are permitted or tolerated.

As a foreigner who has just entered Germany and is eligible for assistance, you can generally receive assistance after a residence period of 3 months.

Related Links

  • § 76 Sozialgesetzbuch Drittes Buch (SGB III)
  • § 16 Absatz 1 Nummer 3 Sozialgesetzbuch Zweites Buch (SGB II)

Related Links

  • Informationen für Jugendliche zur außerbetrieblichen Berufsausbildung auf der Internetseite der Agentur für Arbeit
  • Artikel zur außerbetrieblichen Ausbildung in der BIBB-Zeitschrift "Berufsbildung in Wissenschaft und Praxis", auf der Internetseite der Fachzeitschrift herunterladbar
  • Empfehlungen des Hauptausschusses des Bundesinstituts für Berufsausbildung zur Ausbildung von Menschen mit Behinderungen

You can take part in extra-company vocational training after a personal interview at the Employment Agency or the Job Centre, if you meet the eligibility requirements, if there is a corresponding measure and if there is a free place.

  • Contact the responsible employment agency or job centre and arrange an interview.
    • If you receive unemployment benefit II, the Jobcenter is responsible for you. Otherwise, the employment agency is responsible for you. You can find the office of the Federal Employment Agency or the Job Centre that is responsible for you using the office finder. It depends on your place of residence.
  • On site, the vocational counsellor of the Employment Agency or the integration specialist of the Job Centre will take down your data and check whether you meet the requirements for participation in extra-company vocational training.
  • If this is the case, the vocational counsellor at the employment agency or the integration specialist at the job centre will name a suitable training provider for your participation.
  • The employment agency or the job centre informs the training provider that you will start training with them.
  • You will be invited by the training provider to a coordination or admission interview before the start of the training.
  • You conclude a training contract with the training provider.
  • If the practical part of your training takes place in a company, you will also conclude a cooperation agreement with your training provider and the company.
  • The training provider will inform you in writing about the start of your training and the training location and about what you need to get started.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication