register employees for social security Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

As an employer, you are obliged to register your employees with the social security system.

When you hire new staff, you must register these employees with social security.

This registration obligation applies to all your employees. This means that you not only have to register your employees who are subject to social insurance contributions, but also, for example, marginally or short-term employees, trainees, working students or employed pensioners with the social insurance. The registration procedure is the same for all employees, with the exception of mini-jobs in private households.

You must submit social insurance notifications electronically. If you use a system-checked payroll accounting program in your company, you can create and send the notifications with this program. This is largely automated. Alternatively, you can use a system-checked completion aid to transfer the data to the social insurance agency.

The Informationstechnische Servicestelle der gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung (ITSG GmbH) offers "", a system-checked completion aid that you can use for the notification. The program is free of charge up to a certain usage limit.

System-tested payroll accounting programs and completion aids also contain the necessary modules for all other electronic notifications to the social security system that you are obliged to make as an employer. In addition to the registration, the monthly contribution statement and the annual statement are particularly important. In some industries, you must submit an immediate report in addition to the registration.

To register employees, you must provide the following information, among other things:

  • Personal information: For this purpose, ask to see official documents, such as your identity card.
  • Social security number: You will find this on the employee's social security card. If you do not have the card, you can also register new staff without a social security number. In this case, you must provide the date and place of birth and, if applicable, the country and name of birth.

Collection agency: The responsible collection agency is usually the employee's statutory health insurance fund; for part-time employees, it is the Minijob-Zentrale. To prepare the registration, you can use the "Information Portal for Employers" of the Information Technology Service Center of the Statutory Health Insurance (ITSG). This information portal helps you to classify the employment relationship in terms of social insurance law and to compile all the necessary data.


  • Forms: no
  • Online procedure: yes
  • Written form required: no
  • Personal appearance required: no

Related Links

  • Onlineverfahren: Elektronische Ausfüllhilfe "" der Informationstechnischen Servicestelle der GKV GmbH


If you are hiring staff for the first time, you will need a company number. You can obtain this from the Company Number Service (BNS) of the Federal Employment Agency.


  • Mini-jobs in private households are reported differently. For this purpose, you must use the household check procedure at the Minijob-Zentrale.
  • If you do not register employees or do not register them correctly or on time (this also applies to immediate registration), you are acting irregularly and must expect a fine of up to EUR 25,000.

Related Links

  • § 28a Meldungen des Arbeitgebers Meldepflicht, Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB) Viertes Buch (IV)
  • Datenerfassungs- und -übermittlungsverordnung (DEÜV)

Related Links

  • Online-Antrag für eine Betriebsnummer auf der Seite der Bundesagentur für Arbeit
  • Informationen zur Anmeldung von Mini-Jobbern auf der Seite der Minijob-Zentrale
  • Informationen zur Ausfüllhilfe ""
  • Ausführliche Informationen zum Meldeverfahren im gemeinsamen Rundschreiben "Meldeverfahren zur Sozialversicherung" auf der Seite des GKV-Spitzenverbands
  • "Informationsportal für Arbeitgeber" der Informationstechnischen Servicestelle der gesetzlichen Krankenversicherung (ITSG)

Depending on whether you perform payroll accounting in-house or have outsourced it, you can create the declaration yourself or have it created by your external service provider (tax consultant, payroll office, service accounting centre).

  • If you use a system-checked payroll program, you can submit the declaration from this program with the declaration reason "10" (declaration).
  • If you do not use a system-checked payroll program, you can submit the declaration using a system-checked completion aid such as "".
  • If you use "", proceed as follows:
    • Call up the program.
    • Register as a new user. if you have not already done so.
    • Log in with your registration data and your company number.
    • Under "Forms" select the tile "SI declaration" and there the form "Registration". Select the element "10 Start of employment".
    • Fill out the form. All fields have help texts. A manual is also available.
    • Submit the application by pressing a button. Messages and feedback can be found in your mailbox.
    • Save all relevant documents electronically or print them out for safekeeping and include them in your remuneration documents.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs

Last update or date of publication