Request crediting of media services from film levy calculation Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you want to receive advertising time for your film on television and radio, you can apply for a media allowance under certain conditions.

The German Federal Film Board (FFA) awards media services via agreements with public and private television broadcasters and pay-TV operators. These are advertising periods in which a theatrical film can be advertised on television and radio.

You can apply for media benefits if you are the distributor of a German theatrical film

  • which is released nationwide and
  • with at least 25 copies

in cinemas nationwide.

Media services are short spots of the private as well as the public broadcasters with which the film can be advertised on television and/or on the radio of the state broadcasting stations of the ARD.

Media services can be applied for and approved in different amounts for various categories for a film at the time of its theatrical release.

The media services for the theatrical release of a film are determined according to 3 categories

Media benefits for private television broadcasters are awarded according to the following categories:

  • Category A: EUR 200,000.00
  • Category B: EUR 300,000.00
  • Category C: EUR 400,000.00

The media services of the public broadcasters will be awarded according to the following categories. The FFA will inform you about the internal distribution between ARD and ZDF.

  • Category A: EUR 100,000.00
  • Category B: EUR 200,000.00
  • Category C: EUR 300,000.00.

The media service categories A and B can be combined with those of the private television broadcasters.

In the event that you have also applied for media services for the promotion of video or video-on-demand first releases, your film must

  • have been granted at least EUR 200,000 in media support for the theatrical release of your film in question, and
  • have reached a certain number of admissions.

Once the media services have been approved, you can contact the television broadcaster directly or use an agency to book the media services. The individual television broadcasters report to the German Federal Film Board (FFA) at regular intervals on the media services they have booked. This allows the FFA to verify that your media services have been broadcast to the extent granted.

You should submit the application for media services at the same time as the application for project distribution funding.

You must submit with your application:

  • Statement of the type and amount of funding requested.
  • Marketing concept (if applicable, also state that use for radio advertising is intended)
  • Detailed description of the TV campaign,
  • Calculation of production costs and financing plan
  • Distribution contract
  • Number of theatrical copies
  • Viewing DVD of the theatrical version,
  • Obligation to provide a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) of the theatrical version for viewing in a technical format to be agreed with the German Federal Film Board (FFA)
  • Declaration that blocking periods will be observed
  • details of producer, director and actors
  • Indication of the expected number of visitors circa 15 seconds spot or a detailed description

  • Forms: yes
  • Online procedure possible: yes
  • Written form required: yes
  • Personal appearance required: no

Related Links

  • Online-Antrag auf der Internetseite der Filmförderungsanstalt (FFA
Filmförderungsanstalt (FFA) German Federal Film Board Anstalt des öffentlichen Rechts


Applications may be submitted by:

  • Distributors of theatrical films
    • nationwide and
    • with at least 25 copies

start in the cinemas

Other requirements:

  • The application must specify whether it is a micro, small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) with
    • fewer than 250 employees and
    • a maximum annual turnover of EUR 50 million or
    • a maximum balance sheet total of EUR 43 million


In the case of applications for additional video or video-on-demand first releases, at least

  • at least EUR 200,000 of media performance must have been granted, and
  • a certain number of viewers must be reached.

Related Links

  • § 157 Filmförderungsgesetz 2017 (FFG)
  • D.16 Richtlinie für die Vergabe von Medialeistungen

Related Links

  • Weitere Informationen auf der Internestseite der Filmförderungsanstalt (FFA)
  • FAQ Fragen und Antworten zur FProjektförderung Verleih/Vertrieb und Medialeistungen auf der Internetseite der FFA

You must submit the application online to the German Federal Film Board (FFA).

  • First arrange a personal or telephone consultation with the FFA. During this meeting, you will receive important information about the requirements and application process. You will also have the opportunity to clarify any open questions.
  • Submit your application online. Fill out the application electronically. Print it out and sign it. Send the application and all documents by post and electronically to the FFA. The FFA confirms receipt of your application, checks it and sends it to the FFA.
  • The application is then submitted to the Commission for Distribution, Sales and Video Funding.
  • The Commission makes a decision on eligibility.
  • You will be notified of the decision by mail in the form of an approval or denial notice.
  • The second installment of 25 percent will be made after the action is completed and the final costs have been reviewed by an auditing firm.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication