Request crediting of media services from film levy calculation Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you want to receive advertising time for your theatrical film on television and radio, you can apply for a media benefit under certain conditions.
The German Federal Film Board (FFA) allocates media services via agreements with public and private television broadcasters and pay-TV operators. These are advertising periods during which a theatrical film can be promoted on television and radio.
You can apply for media benefits if you are the distributor of a German theatrical film,
- which is released nationwide and
- with at least 25 copies
in theaters nationwide.
Media services are short spots from both private and public broadcasters that can be used to promote the film on television and/or on the radio of the ARD state broadcasters.
Media services can be applied for and approved in different amounts for various categories for a film at the time of its theatrical release.
The media benefits for the theatrical release of a film are determined according to 3 categories
Media benefits for private broadcasters are awarded according to the following categories:
- Category A: EUR 200,000.00
- Category B: EUR 300,000.00
- Category C: EUR 400,000.00
The media services of the public broadcasters will be awarded according to the following categories. The FFA will inform you about the internal allocation to ARD and ZDF.
- Category A: EUR 100,000.00
- Category B: EUR 200,000.00
- Category C: EUR 300,000.00.
Media service categories A and B can be combined with those of private television broadcasters
In the event that you have also applied for media services for the promotion of video or video-on-demand first releases, your film must generate
- have been granted a minimum of EUR 200,000 in media support for the theatrical release of your film in question, and
- have reached a certain number of viewers.
Once the media services have been approved, you can contact the television broadcaster directly or use an agency to book the media services. The individual broadcasters report to the German Federal Film Board (FFA) at regular intervals on the media service bookings they have made. This allows the FFA to verify that your media services have been broadcast to the extent granted.
You should submit the application for media services at the same time as the application for project distribution funding.
When submitting your application, you must submit:
- Statement on the type and amount of the requested funding support
- Marketing concept (if applicable, also state that use for radio advertising is intended)
- Detailed description of the TV campaign,
- Calculation of production costs and financing plan
- Distribution contract
- Number of launch copies
- Viewing DVD of the theatrical version,
- Obligation to provide a Digital Cinema Package (DCP) of the theatrical version for viewing in a technical format to be agreed with the German Federal Film Board (FFA)
- Declaration that blocking periods will be observed
- details of producer, director and actors
Indication of the expected number of visitors circa 15 seconds spot or a detailed description
- Forms: yes
- Online procedure possible: yes
- Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no
Online-Antrag auf der Internetseite der Filmförderungsanstalt (FFA
Applications may be submitted by:
Distributors of theatrical films
- nationwide and
- with at least 25 copies
are launched in cinemas
The application must specify whether the company is a microenterprise, small and medium-sized enterprise (SME) with
- fewer than 250 employees and
- a maximum annual turnover of EUR 50 million or
- a maximum balance sheet total of EUR 43 million
In the case of applications for additional video or video-on-demand first releases, a minimum of
- at least EUR 200,000 of media output must have been approved, and
- a certain number of viewers must be reached.
§ 157 Filmförderungsgesetz 2017 (FFG)
D.16 Richtlinie für die Vergabe von Medialeistungen
Weitere Informationen auf der Internestseite der Filmförderungsanstalt (FFA)
FAQ Fragen und Antworten zur FProjektförderung Verleih/Vertrieb und Medialeistungen auf der Internetseite der FFA
You must submit the application online to the German Federal Film Board (FFA).
- First, arrange a personal or telephone consultation with the FFA. During this meeting, you will receive important information about the requirements and application process. You will also have the opportunity to clarify any open questions.
- Submit your application online. Fill out the application electronically. Print it out and sign it. Send the application and all documents by mail and electronically to the FFA.The FFA will confirm receipt of your application, review it, and submit it to the FFA.
- Then submits the application to the Commission for Distribution, Sales and Video Funding.
- The Commission makes a decision on eligibility.
- You will be notified of the decision by mail in the form of an approval or denial notice.
- The second installment of 25 percent is paid after the measure is completed and the final costs are audited by an auditing firm.
Responsible for the content
The Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM)
Last update or date of publication