Apply for funding under the Future Cinema Programme Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you want to invest in your cinema, you can apply for a subsidy under certain conditions.
The Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM) provides funding of up to EUR 315,000 to cinemas throughout Germany, especially outside of conurbations.
You can receive funding for the following measures:
Smart data / customer loyalty / investment marketing measures, for example.
- Hardware and software,
- expenses for agencies,
- legal advice and programming work as well as
- Expenditure on advertising facilities
Green cinema / sustainability / environmentally friendly practices, for example.
- Modernization of heating systems,
- air conditioning and ventilation,
Investments in the use of renewable energies, for example
- solar energy,
- LED lighting,
- waste separation and reduction systems, and
- Creation of outdoor bicycle parking and e-charging stations.
Accessibility in the cinema, for example
- Construction of ramps and lifts,
- construction of barrier-free sanitary facilities,
- measures to adapt the fire protection concept to existing standards
- Acquisition and installation of technology for the visually and hearing impaired,
- Creation of a barrier-free website in accordance with current standards and regulations,
- Installation of a public W-LAN,
- installation of signposting systems for the visually and hearing impaired and
- Installation of barrier-free car parking spaces in accordance with local building regulations.
box office technology, such as the renewal of
- cash drawers,
- ticket and receipt printers,
- network technology,
- Digital Signage and
Projection and sound technology, such as renewal of:
- projection technology and
Subcomponents, for example
- light engine,
- 3D unit,
- Fan and
Renewal of the entire sound technology in the projection room and auditorium, for example:
Event technology, for example:
- microphone technology,
- lighting equipment
Seating and cinema hall equipment, for example:
Expenditure on improving the auditorium, for example:
- Renewal of the seating,
- work on wall,
- fire protection/security technology and
- network and event technology
- Expenditure on improving the auditorium, for example:
Visitor area / foyer equipment, for example:
- Modernization of the foyer,
- the furnishing,
- sales counters and
- catering technology
Measures for the repair of the outdoor facilities, for example:
- Modernization of the outdoor advertising system,
- facade and
- doors and windows
Also funded Due to the current pandemic, current remodeling and equipment upgrades needed to adequately reduce the risk of infection (especially with the SARS-CoV-2 virus) in the public and non-public areas of the movie theater .
You will not receive funding for:
- Measures that you started before you submitted the application,
- special types of cinemas, for example:
- Open-air cinemas,
- travelling cinemas,
- drive-in cinemas,
- cinemas in hotels,
- new installations, extensions or reopenings of cinemas,
- own services,
- office and administrative expenses,
- second-hand goods,
- cleaning work,
- film rental,
- labour costs,
- the purchase of land and buildings,
- maintenance contracts,
- support services,
- subscription fees,
If you want to invest in the future viability of your cinema, then you can get a grant of up to 40 percent of the total eligible costs.
The amount of the subsidy depends on the number of cinemas you have:
- if you have a cinema with only one auditorium, you will receive up to EUR 60,000.
- if you have a cinema with at least 2 screens, you will receive up to EUR 45,000 per screen, max. EUR 315,000.
Grants of up to EUR 5,000 are paid out once.
Grants of more than EUR 5,000 will be paid out in up to 4 instalments, depending on the progress of your project and on request.
At the latest for the payment of the first instalment, proof must be provided that the financing of the measure is secured.
Proof of use must be submitted before the last instalment is paid out. The proof of use consists of a factual report and a numerical proof in the form of invoices and transfer vouchers. The funds must be used within 6 months of the grant being awarded.
You must keep all invoices and receipts relating to eligible costs.
You are not entitled to the grant.
You submit the application for funding under the Future Cinema Programme to the German Federal Film Board (FFA).
When submitting your application, you must submit:
- Cost and financing plan
- Cost estimates
- Information on rental, lease or ownership conditions
- current excerpt from the commercial register or association register of the applicant, not older than one year
- precise description of the measure
- for cinemas in cities with more than 50,000 inhabitants: proof of cinema programme award
- of the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM)
- of the federal states
- of the cinematheque association
- if not available: Proof of attendance
- film programme with the help of a complete programme from the last 3 years prior to application
In order to receive the first instalment of the grant, you must submit
the completed application for disbursement with your signature
- if you are not the applicant, then additionally a power of attorney from the applicant
- all proofs of financing
Before you get the last instalment you must submit:
proof of use (numerical proof and factual report) with your signature
- if you are not the applicant, then also a power of attorney from the applicant
- Forms: yes
- Online procedure possible: yes
- Written form required: yes (signed application)
- Personal appearance required: no
Application and notification portal of the FFA on the website of the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM)
Applications may be submitted by:
cinema operators of fixed cinemas
located in the Federal Republic of Germany and with a maximum of 7 screens
- from a federal state with its own cinema support programme
- with proof of economic viability
- Economic viability is generally recognized if:
- your cinema has had an average of 275 screenings in the past 3 years
- can demonstrate an average of at least 9 months of continuous screenings.
- located in the Federal Republic of Germany and with a maximum of 7 screens
You must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Your cinema is located in a municipality with a population of 50,000 or less.
You have won an award within the last 3 years prior to application with
- Cinema programme award of the BKM
- the Cinema Award of the Kinematheksverbund
- a cinema programme award of the federal states
- they have an audience share of at least 40 per cent for German and European films
- On average, 40 percent of your total programming (screened film titles) in the last 3 calendar years consisted of German and other European films. In the case of programming, the number of titles is decisive.
Funding principles are still being developed
§§ Sections 23 and 44, Sections 91 and 100 of the Federal Budget Code (BHO)
§§ Sections 134 to 144 Film Subsidies Act 2016 (FFG)
§§ Sections 48 to 49a of the Administrative Procedure Act (VwVfG)
Information on the Future Cinema Programme on the FFA website
Further information on the Future Cinema Programme can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy
Information on the funding principles of the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media (BKM) for the "Future Cinema Programme" on the FFA website
Questions and answers on the funding "Zukunftsprogramm Kino" on the FFA website
Information on the funding programmes of the federal states on the FFA website
Information on the cinema programme awards of the federal states on the FFA website
You must submit your application for funding under the Future Cinema Programme online and in writing to the German Federal Film Board (FFA):
- You submit the application online via the FFA's application and notification portal. You can also upload all the necessary documents there.
- Fill out the application form electronically and send it off. Then print out the sent application form and sign it. Send the signed application form by post to the FFA within 5 days after submitting the application online to make the application legally binding.
- The FFA will review your application. If the FFA approves your application, you will receive a grant notification by mail.
- You can now begin with the measure.
- If necessary, you can also apply to start your measure before your notice of award is issued.
- If you would like to receive an instalment payment, submit the application for instalment payment online and upload the required documents. Print and sign the installment disbursement form that was sent electronically. Mail the signed application form to the FFA.
- FFA will review your installment payment application and, if all supporting documentation is received, will transfer the installment.
- Once you have completed the measure, you submit an online application to the FFA for verification of use of the funds and payment of the last instalment:
- You create a proof of use online (numerical proof and factual report) and upload all required documents. Fill out the form for the where-used list electronically and submit it. Then print out the submitted form and sign it. Mail the signed form to the FFA.
- FFA will review the Where-Used Verification form and, if all verifications are submitted, will transfer the final installment.
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication