apply for a tonnage certificate Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
Do you own a recreational craft and want or need to register it in the register of seagoing vessels? To do this, you need a ship's tonnage certificate, which you can apply for from the Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency (BSH).
The BSH issues internationally recognised tonnage certificates for recreational craft. These are a prerequisite for entry in a register of seagoing vessels.
The issuing of tonnage certificates depends on the length of your vessel.
In the case of recreational craft under 24 metres in length (as defined in Article 2(8) of the International Convention on Tonnage Measurement of Ships), a simplified survey is carried out; it is limited to establishing the length. The issued tonnage certificate is generally sufficient for the registration of the recreational craft in a maritime register.
- On request, these smaller pleasure craft can also be measured in accordance with the international rules for vessels over 24 metres in length. This will give you the international ship's tonnage certificate.
For vessels over 24 metres in length, an exact measurement is carried out on board in accordance with the rules of the International Convention on Tonnage Measurement of Ships. These vessels then receive an International Vessel Measurement Certificate.
- Drawing or sketch of the recreational craft; for example, shipyard general plan (copy)
- Brochure of the recreational craft (copy), also in extracts
- one photograph each of the side and stern view of the recreational craft
- if applicable, a copy of the declaration of conformity
- if applicable, a copy of the manufacturer's certificate
- Forms: yes
- Online procedure possible: no
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: no
Bundesamt für Seeschifffahrt und Hydrographie (BSH)
- You own a recreational craft with a hull length of less than 15 metres and wish to register voluntarily in a register of seagoing vessels.
You own a recreational craft with a hull length of more than 15 metres and must therefore comply with the obligation to register in a register of seagoing vessels.
As an applicant resident or domiciled outside Germany, you must have permanently commissioned one or more responsible persons resident or domiciled in the Federal Republic of Germany to ensure that the legal provisions applicable to seagoing vessels in the Federal Republic of Germany are complied with in technical, social and administrative matters. On request, the BSH will provide more detailed information on the further evidence to be provided in these cases in accordance with the Flag Law Ordinance.
§ 6 Absatz 1 Schiffssicherheitsgesetz (SchSG)
in Verbindung mit § 11 Nummer 5, § 13 Absatz 1 Schiffsregisterordnung (SchRegO)
Informationen zur Sportbootvermessung auf der BSH-Website
Informationen zu Seeschiffsregistern auf der Internetseite der deutschen Flagge
Informationen rund um Flaggenzertifikate für Sportboote auf der Internetseite des BSH
You can apply for the issuance of the ship's tonnage certificate at the Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency (BSH):
- On the BSH website, you have the option of filling out the application as a PDF file on the computer and printing it out or downloading it first and printing it out in order to fill it out by hand.
- You send the completed application form together with the required documents and proofs by post or
- scan the documents and send them by email to the BSH.
- E-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Explanations of the application and information about the ship's tonnage certificate can also be found on the BSH website.
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication