Return flag certificate for pleasure craft Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If the ownership of a seagoing vessel or a seaworthy recreational craft with a hull length of up to 15 metres changes, you must return the flag certificate to the BSH without delay.
The flag certificate serves as proof of entitlement to fly the German flag on a seagoing vessel or a seaworthy recreational craft with a hull length of up to 15 metres.
It is issued to natural persons, associations of persons or legal entities. They must have a residence or registered office in Germany and either be German nationals or citizens of the European Union (EU).
A flag certificate must be returned if
- the ship or boat has been sold
- the ship has been entered in a German or foreign shipping register
- the ownership structure changes, in particular in the case of owner associations, for example if owners leave or new persons join the owner association, or
- the owner dies.
- Flag certificate in original
Online procedure possible: no
Written form required: yes
Personal appearance required: no
PDF-Antrag auf Rückgabe eines bestehenden Flaggenzertifikats
A valid flag certificate must be returned if
- you sell the ship or boat
- the ship is to be registered in a German or foreign shipping register,
- the ownership changes, in particular in the case of owner associations, for example if the owners leave or new persons join the owner association, or
- the owner dies.
You will only receive the information for the confirmation of the invalidity of the flag certificate if this has been requested in the return.
§ 22 Flaggenrechtsgesetz (FlaggRG)
§ 31 Absatz 2 Flaggenrechtsverordnung (FlRV)
Informationen rund um Flaggenzertifikate für Sportboote auf der Internetseite des BSH
You can request the return of a flag certificate from the Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency (BSH). This can be done by post.
- Visit the BSH website and go to the section for flag certificates.
- Select the procedure for returning the flag certificate.
- You can complete the application form as a PDF file on your computer and print it out, or download it and complete it by hand.
- Send the completed application form together with the required documents by post to the BSH.
- You will receive a confirmation of return, provided you have noted this accordingly in the application.
Explanations of the application and information about the flag certificate can also be found on the BSH website.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry of Transport and Digital Infrastructure
Last update or date of publication