Registering electricity and gas units in the register Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If you operate an electricity or gas installation and it is connected to an electricity or gas grid, you must register the unit in the Market Master Data Register (MaStR) of the Federal Network Agency. You only have to register plants in planning in certain cases.

As the central register for the energy transition, the Market Master Data Register (MaStR) records data on all generation plants:

  • All new plants and all existing plants,
  • installations for the generation of renewable and conventional energy,
  • electricity and gas generation plants.

If you operate an electricity or gas generation plant (for example, photovoltaic plant, wind energy plant, combined heat and power plant, battery storage, biomethane plant), you must register it in the MaStR. You are also obliged to register if no subsidy is granted or claimed for the electricity from the plant.
All running plants must be registered regardless of when they were commissioned - even if your plant has been running for many years. This means that even if you have already registered your plant in various other places, for example with your grid operator or in earlier registers of the Federal Network Agency, you must register these plants again in the MaStR.
If an installation is shut down, you must also report this in the register. If the installation is not connected to any electricity or gas grid, no notification is required.
To ensure that payments under the Renewable Energy Sources Act (EEG) or the Combined Heat and Power Act (KWKG) are paid out without deductions, you must comply with the registration deadlines set by the legislator.
You must register via the Federal Network Agency's Internet portal.
As a citizen, you can also register via forms in exceptional cases.
Authorities can access the MaStR data. This enables them to either significantly simplify their own surveys or dispense with them altogether. Plant operators and other market players can refer to the data they have entered in the MaStR.

The information required for registration can be found in the following documents:

  • Commissioning record of the electricity or gas generation plant.
  • Year-end accounts
  • previous registration certificates from the Federal Network Agency

Forms: in exceptional cases only for natural persons on request (by telephone or in writing)

Online procedure: yes

Written form required: no

Personal appearance required: no


You do not have to meet any prerequisites.

Related Links

  • Verordnung über die Registrierung energiewirtschaftlicher Daten (MaStRV)
  • § 111e Energiewirtschaftsgesetz (EnWG)
  • § 111f Energiewirtschaftsgesetz (EnWG)

Related Links

  • Informationen zum Marktstammdatenregister auf der Internetseite der Bundesnetzagentur

If you would like to register yourself as an operator and your electricity and gas generation plants in the MaStR, you can do so via the MaStR Internet portal:

  • Access the MaStR Internet portal and first register as a user with a valid e-mail address.
  • Log on to the MaStR Internet portal and register as an installation operator.
  • Then register your installations.
  • If your registration is successful, the system will provide you with your registration certificate with your registration numbers (MaStR numbers).
  • You can make changes and corrections online at any time.

Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy

Last update or date of publication