apply for a maritime surveillance licence Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
You must apply for approval from the Federal Office of Economics and Export Control (BAFA) whenever you wish to offer armed services with the aim of countering piracy on seagoing vessels flying the German flag or if your company is based in Germany.
Before BAFA grants approval, it checks with the Federal Police whether your company meets the approval criteria. You must then ensure yourself that the guards deployed meet the requirements placed on them in terms of reliability, suitability and expertise.
- Documentation of the operational organization
- Process manual for the procedures
- Service instructions
- List of equipment used by the security company
- Documents proving the reliability, suitability and expertise of the person responsible in the company, including the certificate of good conduct or an equivalent foreign document in German or, if necessary, in a certified translation
- Proof of liability insurance
- Company profile with a description of the market position of the security company in the field of maritime security
- Extract from the commercial register or a comparable foreign document
- if applicable, export, import or transit licences for weapons and equipment requiring a licence
With the exception of the certificate of good conduct, all documents can also be submitted in English. However, the Federal Office reserves the right to request translations for individual documents.
- Online procedure possible: yes
- Written form required: yes
- Personal appearance required: no
Formular für das Hochladen des unterschriebenen Antragsformulars sowie das nachträgliche Hochladen von Dokumenten
Your security guard company must meet certain requirements to be licensed. Verified:
- operational organization and procedures,
- the professional and personal suitability and reliability of the persons employed and of the management as well as
- the company liability insurance.
In addition to the licence, you need a weapons permit in accordance with § 28a of the Weapons Act for the armed guarding of seagoing vessels under the German flag. This is issued by the Hamburg Authority for the Interior and Sport - Weapons Authority - of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg.
If your security company is established in Germany and you wish to carry out security duties with weapons on seagoing vessels under other flags, a weapons permit from your local weapons authority may be required.
If you wish to export weapons and equipment requiring a licence from Germany in order to carry out guarding activities, you must apply to the Federal Office of Economics and Export Control for an export licence.
Please refer to the information and further links on the
Bundesamt für Wirtschaft und Ausfuhrkontrolle: Seeschiffbewachung
You can apply for approval to guard seagoing vessels at the Federal Office of Economics and Export Control.
the form is available
please print out the application form and upload it with the signature of the person in charge via the
- please attach the necessary application documents in pdf format to the application form
You can speed up the processing of your application if you upload the completed
self-assessment formin pdf format
- BAFA and the Federal Police check the operational organisation and procedures in the company, the equipment, the requirements for the senior employee appointed as the responsible person, the company liability insurance
- If necessary, BAFA will request additional documents
BAFA will then inform you in writing whether your application has been approved.
Responsible for the content
Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy
Last update or date of publication