Applying for administrative proceedings if a basic payment account is refused Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If your application to open a basic payment account has been rejected, you can apply for administrative proceedings against your credit institution.
In principle, a bank may refuse your application for a basic payment account only if:
- you already have and can use a payment account with another credit institution in Germany;
- you have not been convicted of an intentional criminal offence against the credit institution, one of its employees or its customers within the last 3 years;
- you already hold a basic payment account with the same bank and this bank has terminated your basic payment account contract because you had payment arrears or used your account for prohibited purposes; or
- provisions on the prevention of money laundering and terrorist financing require an institution to refuse to open the account.
When you apply for administrative proceedings, the Federal Financial Supervisory Authority (BaFin) will examine whether the bank was right to reject your application for a basic payment account.
If the bank wrongly refuses to open a basic payment account, BaFin will order the credit institution to open a basic payment account for you. Note: If the bank chooses not to open a basic payment account for you once you have submitted your application for the account, it must inform you of this in writing within 10 days.
- Application to enter into a basic bank account contract from the credit institution concerned
- Banks decision to reject your application
- Forms: Yes
- Can I do it online? No
- Do I need to do it in writing? Yes
- Do I need to attend in person? No
Application for administrative proceedings in the event of rejection of an application to conclude a basic payment account contract
- Your application to enter into a basic payment account contract has been rejected by the credit institution
§ 48 Payment Accounts Act (ZKG)
BaFin basic information on the basic payment account
FAQ from the Federal Ministry of Finance on the Payment Accounts Act and the basic payment account
You must apply in writing to BaFin for administrative proceedings against your credit institution.
- Download the application form on the BaFin website and complete it in full.
- Send the signed application with the necessary documents to the address indicated on the form.
- BaFin will acknowledge receipt of the request in writing. It then will check whether you meet the conditions for entering into a basic payment account contract.
- If the bank has wrongly rejected your application, BaFin will order the opening of a basic payment account. You will receive written confirmation that the proceedings have been closed.
- If your application to BaFin is rejected, you can appeal to have the decision re-examined. Your bank can also appeal if BaFin issues an order that a basic payment account must be opened for you.
Note: You must indicate a postal address on the application form (e.g. of friends or of a family member).
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication