Applying for a passport abroad

If you live abroad, you can apply for your German passport at a German diplomatic representation abroad.

If you have German citizenship and you live abroad, you can apply for a passport at whichever German diplomatic mission (embassy or consulate) is relevant for you. You must usually apply for a passport in person.

If you have lost your passport, or it has been stolen, the diplomatic mission can issue you with a travel document to return to Germany. Such documents are issued for the duration of the planned trip, although the maximum period is 1 month. These documents give you the right to return to Germany but not to travel on to other countries. If you have lost your passport, please report to the nearest diplomatic mission.

  • Current or previous identity document (passport, identity card, childs identity card, childs passport)
  • Recent biometric photograph in passport format (45 x 35 mm), portrait format, frontal image, no border, no head covering and nothing covering the eyes
  • Birth certificate or marriage certificate, if applicable
  • Further documentation may be required where appropriate, please check in advance with the diplomatic mission

Forms: Yes 
Can I do it online? No
Do I need to do it in writing? Yes
Do I need to attend in person? Yes

Related Links

  • Please contact the relevant diplomatic mission about the required forms.


  • You are a German citizen
  • There must be no grounds for not issuing a passport


If the passport is issued abroad, there is an extra charge of between EUR 13.00 and EUR 21.00 on top of the fees payable in Germany.

Related Links

  • § 19(3) Passport Act (PassG)
  • Verordnung zur Durchführung des Passgesetzes (Passverordnung - PassV)
  • Allgemeine Verwaltungsvorschrift zur Durchführung des Passgesetzes (Passverwaltungsvorschrift - PassVwV)

Related Links

  • List of the German diplomatic missions on the website of the Federal Foreign Office

You must apply for the passport in person.

  • Please contact the local diplomatic mission and, if necessary, make an appointment
  • In any case, you must appear in person, as you must be personally identified and your fingerprints taken
  • Passports are produced centrally and sent to the diplomatic mission after completion
  • You will be informed once the passport is ready

Responsible for the content
Federal Foreign Office (Auswärtiges Amt)

Last update or date of publication