Emergency aid for Germans abroad Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Germans who find themselves in an emergency situation during their stay abroad can contact the nearest German representation. This can, for example

  • issue you with a travel document for your return to Germany if you lose your passport,
  • put you in touch with relatives or friends at home if you lose your money,
  • show you quick ways of transferring money (flash giro, telegraphic postal transfer, Western Union Money Transfer) or, in countries where these ways of transfer are not available, also enable you to transfer money via the foreign representation,
  • arrange for legal, medical or specialist assistance, interpretation or translation services for you if necessary
  • arrange for you to be represented by a lawyer if you wish in the event of arrest, and inform your relatives,
  • arrange for you, as a relative, to be notified of the death of a German national abroad and arrange for local funeral homes to take care of the formalities .

In case of loss of passport: report the loss or theft to the police.

Will be handed over at the time of application

Auswärtiges Amt (AA)


  • Existence of an objective emergency from which the person concerned cannot extricate himself or herself and cannot be extricated by third parties.
  • German nationality of the persons concerned


The German representations can provide assistance under the Consular Act if no other assistance is available. There are far-reaching obligations on the part of the persons concerned to cooperate and provide information. The principle of "help for self-help" applies. Financial assistance provided constitutes a social benefit which is subject to a fee and must be repaid. On-call services are available for emergencies outside regular office hours.

Before embarking on any journey abroad, it should be clarified whether adequate health insurance cover exists, which in an emergency would also cover an emergency flight to Germany. Without adequate insurance cover, costs incurred locally (e.g. hospital costs, emergency flight) must always be borne by the person concerned and can quickly consume all savings. These costs cannot be covered by German missions abroad. It also cannot be ruled out that the doctor/hospital will refuse to allow the person to leave the country if the bill is not paid.

Related Links

  • Auslandskostengesetz (AKostG)
  • Konsulargesetz (KonsG)
  • Passgesetz (PassG)

Related Links

  • Auswärtiges Amt: Webseiten der deutschen Auslandsvertretungen
  • Auswärtiges Amt: Konsularinformationen

In the event of loss of passport: visit to the diplomatic mission abroad
In case of emergency: depending on the situation

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication