Apply for a new ID card for theft
Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Ihnen wurde Ihr Personalausweis gestohlen? Dann müssen Sie dies bei der Polizei melden. Darüber hinaus müssen Sie einen neuen Personalausweis beantragen, wenn Sie über 16 Jahre alt sind und kein gültiges Passdokument besitzen.
You can report the theft of your identity card to any police station.

You must also apply for a new identity card if you are over 16 years old and do not have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport. This is possible at the customer center at your main residence.
If you don't apply for your new identity card at your main place of residence, you need an important reason. A surcharge of EUR 13.00 is also added to the fee. If you contact the customer center you have selected beforehand, you can find out whether and to what extent the customer center recognizes your reason.
  • Biometric passport photo: The photo must
    • be up to date and
    • meet the photo requirements for electronic ID cards.
  • If available and not yet validated: old ID card or passport or provisional ID card or children's passport (valid or already expired)
  • If you do not have a valid passport or identity card: birth certificate, marriage certificate
  • · Police loss report
  • for children under the age of 16: if necessary, a declaration of consent from the parent who is not present and who has custody
    • if there is only one legal guardian, proof of custody is also required


The obligation to apply for an identity card applies to you if you
  • have German citizenship,
  • have reached the age of 16,
  • are registered in Germany,
  • do not have a valid passport or provisional passport.
For the application outside of your main place of residence:
  • You must be able to demonstrate an important reason why you are not applying for an identity card from the identity card authority at your main place of residence.
  • If you are registered in Hamburg with a secondary residence, the approval of the identity card authority at the place of your main residence is required for the issuance of the ID document. When applying, a non-responsibility surcharge applies, which means that the costs of the issuance increase.


There are the following hints:
  • An extension or change of the identity card is not possible. A new identity card is always issued.
  • In urgent cases, you can also apply for a temporary identity card (valid for a maximum of 3 months) at the same time. This will be given to you immediately.
  • People without a permanent address or the homeless should contact the customer center in Hamburg-Mitte.
§ 9 Personal Identity Card Act (PAuswG)

Related Links

  • Federal Ministry of the Interior and Homeland - sample photo board (external link)
  • Identity card
  • Federal Ministry of the Interior - Frequently asked questions about identity cards (external link)
  • Identity card portal
  • Make an appointment online, all customer centers
  • ID cards, have them blocked (if lost or stolen) or unblocked
  • ID cards, new applications after loss, theft or name change
  • Customer centers Hamburg - overview
  • Information on the identity card on the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior and Homeland
  • Apply for a temporary identity card
To apply for a new identity card after theft, follow these steps:
  • Report the theft to the police. You can report it informally in writing or in person. You must then bring the loss report with you to the customer center to apply for it.
  • If you want to apply for a new identity card at the customer center, you must do so in person and bring the necessary documents with you.
  • When you apply, your customer center will inform you when you can pick up your ID card.
  • Your identity card is produced centrally by Bundesdruckerei GmbH.
  • When applying, fingerprints are taken for storage in the document.
  • You can arrange a pick-up appointment in your customer center online or by telephone.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available