Leaving church, change wage tax
Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Für den Austritt aus einer steuerhebenden Religionsgemeinschaft wenden Sie sich an das Standesamt.
By declaring that you are leaving the church, you are giving up your membership in your religious community. This eliminates the obligation to pay church tax.


Declaration of leaving the church to the responsible registry office.
Section 39e (3) of the Income Tax Act (EStG)

Related Links

  • Exit from the Church
  • You submit a declaration of leaving the church to the responsible registry office.
  • The registry office informs the respective registration office
  • The registration authority transmits the exit and the date of exit to the tax authorities.
  • Employers will also be informed of the discontinuation of the church tax characteristic via the so-called electronic wage tax deduction features (ELStAM) the next time they are called up.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available