Vehicle registration certificate or registration certificate Part I, replacement in the event of damage, theft or loss

In the event of damage, theft or loss of the registration certificate Part I (vehicle registration), a new replacement document can be issued by the Landesbetrieb Verkehr (LBV).

If you want to sell your vehicle and the registration certificate part I (vehicle registration) has been lost, you should apply for a new registration certificate part I from the LBV and give it to the buyer.

In principle, the following documents must be available for the application (in the event of damage, loss or theft):
  • a valid identity card or passport with a current registration certificate
  • the registration certificate part II (vehicle registration document)
  • Proof of the valid main inspection (HU) (not necessary for new vehicles that are not older than 3 years)
  • if the document is damaged beyond recognition: affirmation in lieu of oath
  • the appointment confirmation


In the event of theft:

  • the theft report from a police station
  • If the vehicle owner was not stolen from himself: A release statement from the owner confirming that the document was handed over to the person who was stolen before the theft
  • the insurance in lieu of oath only if no theft report can be presented

In case of loss:

  • the insurance in lieu of oath (can also be submitted to the notary)
In the event of loss, if the holder did not lose the document himself:
  • an affirmation on oath instead of the loser
  • a release statement from the holder confirming that the document was given to the loser before it was lost
  • Original power of attorney for application / issuance (see additional documents under Authorized Representative)
In the event of damage:
  • the affirmation in place of oath
  • Damaged vehicle registration or registration certificate part I

if an authorized representative submits the application on your behalf

  • the legibly completed power of attorney in the original with the legible color copy of the identity of the principal. Note: The color copy is to be provided with the note "COPY".
  • the authorized representative's ID in the original

Please note: The proxy cannot make the declaration in lieu of oath about the loss for the principal. As a rule, the handover must be carried out by the vehicle owner himself.

Companies or associations must also submit the following documents:

  • proof of company / association with Hamburg address (e.g. an excerpt from the commercial register or an excerpt from the association register)

if an authorized representative makes the application:

  • the power of attorney in the original with the legible color copy of the ID of the authorized person
  • the authorized representative's ID in the original

Please note: The proxy cannot make the declaration on oath instead of the loss on behalf of the principal.

Please also take into account the information under "To be observed".


The replacement document can only be requested from the LBV if the vehicle is registered in Hamburg or registered in Hamburg. For vehicles that are not registered in Hamburg, replacement documents can only be issued as part of a transfer to Hamburg. In this case, a clearance certificate from the previous licensing authority is required. If the vehicle is registered, it must also have a valid general inspection (HU).


Proof of the general inspection (HU)
The replacement documents can only be issued for registered vehicles if proof of the valid general inspection (HU) is available. If the report on the main inspection is no longer available, the inspection organization to which the vehicle was presented for inspection can issue a duplicate of the report.

As a rule, a fee-based declaration must be requested instead of an oath, which can be filed in person with the LBV.

Loss or theft of your driver's license
If your driver's license has also been lost or stolen, please book a separate appointment for it. Further information can be found under the entry "Driver's license, replacement after theft or loss".

Appointment booking
Appointments are booked via the LBV. Proceed as follows here:
1. Visit the website for booking an appointment (see link below) and select the service theft of vehicle documents or loss of vehicle documents under the service group Admission, private customers.
2. Use the location selection to display appointments at a specific location.
3. After selecting the location, use the calendar displayed to select a free appointment (date and time).
4. Now enter your name and your e-mail address for booking.
5. You will receive an email. Please confirm the appointment.

Please bring the appointment confirmation that you will receive with you to the appointment.

If you need new vehicle papers because the papers are damaged, please book the " Loss of vehicle papers" appointment.

Related Links

  • LBV online services
  • LBV appointment bookings
  • LBV desired license plate
  • State Office for Transport (contact details)

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available