Apply for a driver's license, international driver's license
Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
In Hamburg, the international driving license is issued by the Landesbetrieb Verkehr (LBV).
- the valid EU card driving license or, if exchanged, the old pink or gray German driving license
- a valid identity card or passport with a current confirmation of registration
- a biometric passport photo 35 x 45 millimeters
- the appointment confirmation
- If necessary, copy of the index card (only required if you do not yet have an EU card driving license and the last driver's license was not issued in Hamburg, further information can be found under the link "LBV index card copy")
- written power of attorney from the applicant
- valid identity card of the authorized representative
- Original driver's license and identity card of the applicant
- if the applicant has his main residence in Hamburg at the time of applying for the driving license and
- the driver's license is in the new EU card format.
If you still have one of the old gray or pink driver's licenses, this must first be exchanged for the new EU card driving license. Further information can be found under the link "LBV driving license exchange" (see below).
If you have the EU card driving license, the international driving license will be issued on the same day.
The international driving license is valid for a maximum of three years. However, if a driving license of classes C or D is to be registered, the period of which is less than three years, the international driving license is also shortened to the period of the registered classes C or D.
Application with power of attorney
If you are unable to submit the application in person, you can issue a written power of attorney to another person. The authorized person can apply for and collect the international driver's license on your behalf on presentation of their own ID. The application with power of attorney is only possible if the driving license is in the format of the EU driving license. The authorized representative must be of legal age.
The international driving license cannot be extended.
The international driving license can also be applied for by post. If the completed application form and all necessary documents have been submitted to the LBV, the international driving license will then be sent to you by post. In this case, no visit to the LBV is necessary.
Please book an appointment for an application on site.
Appointments are booked via the LBV. Proceed as follows here:
1. Visit the website to book an appointment (see link below) and select the service international driving license under the service group driving license if you already have an EU driving license or exchange German driving license and application internat. FS if you still have the old pink or have a gray driver's license.
2. Use the location selection to display appointments at a specific location.
3. After selecting the location, use the calendar displayed to select a free appointment (date and time).
4. Now enter your name and your e-mail address for booking.
5. You will receive an email. Please confirm the appointment.
Please bring the appointment confirmation that you will receive with you to the appointment.
LBV appointment bookings
LBV index card copy
State Office for Transport (contact details)
LBV international driving license form
LBV driving license exchange
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication
No information available