Driver's license, rewrite foreign driver's license (list state)
Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
Appendix 11 of the Driving License Ordinance (FeV) contains a list of countries whose driving licenses entitle you to drive a motor vehicle for a maximum of six months after entering Germany. If you want to continue to drive motor vehicles in Germany afterwards, you must have your driver's license converted into a German one. As a citizen of a listed state, however, you often do not have to take a new exam, just submit an application. Corresponding links can be found under "Forms, Services and Links".
Provisional driving licenses or learner's driving licenses do not entitle you to drive a vehicle in Germany and therefore cannot be converted into a German driving license. You need a full driver's license from the list state to rewrite.
Attention: This service is only available in the Hamburg-Mitte and Hamburg-Nord locations!
- an ID card or passport with a current confirmation of registration
- the valid foreign driver's license in the original (if necessary with an official translation)
- a biometric passport photo 35 x 45 millimeters
- If necessary, a translation and / or classification of the driver's license by an officially sworn interpreter (the necessity can only be decided after a consultation)
- the appointment confirmation
- Depending on the issuing country, additional documents may be required
For driving licenses of classes C and D you also need:
- an ophthalmological report is not older than two years
- a medical certificate is not older than one year
- a medical certificate is not older than one year (only class D)
- a certificate of good conduct (class D only), which must be requested from the responsible residents' registration office and is not older than three months
- If applicable, proof of professional driver qualification for commercial goods and / or passenger transport
Attention: You only need the medical certificate if the driver's license is to be extended at the same time as the transfer.
In addition, the transfer is only possible if the foreign driver's license was acquired at a time when the applicant had normal residence for at least 185 days (six months) in the country of issue. This means that you must have lived abroad for at least six months in order to be able to convert the license you acquired there into a German one. For example, if the driver's license was obtained during a four-week vacation, it cannot be converted into a German driver's license.
Information is also available in other languages on the BMVI website (see link below).
Appointments are booked via the LBV. Proceed as follows here:
1. Visit the website for booking appointments (see link below) and select the service group Driver's license the service of transferring a foreign driver's license .
2. Use the location selection to display appointments at a specific location.
3. After selecting the location, use the calendar displayed to select a free appointment (date and time).
4. Now enter your name and your e-mail address for booking.
5. You will receive an email. Please confirm the appointment.
Please bring the appointment confirmation that you will receive with you to the appointment.
LBV appointment bookings
LBV medical report Annex 5 FeV
State Office for Transport (contact details)
Appendix 11 FEV
BMVI - Validity of foreign driving licenses (driving licenses) in the Federal Republic of Germany
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication
No information available