Driving license, rewrite foreign driving license (third countries)
Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If your driver's license was issued in a country that is not one of the EU or EEA countries, the third country regulation applies. This means that your driving license entitles you to drive a motor vehicle for a maximum of 185 days (six months) after entering Germany. If you would like to drive a motor vehicle in Germany beyond this period, you must apply for a German driver's license.
Important: Due to the corona pandemic, the driver's license is valid for twelve months after entry (if you entered after September 30, 2019 and before April 1, 2021).
- a valid identity card or passport with a current confirmation of registration
- the valid foreign driver's license in the original
- a biometric passport photo 35 x 45 millimeters
- an eye test (only for A / B classes; e.g. by an optician)
- proof of participation in first aid training
- If necessary, a translation and / or classification of the driver's license by an officially sworn interpreter (the necessity can only be decided after a consultation)
- the appointment confirmation
For driving licenses of classes C and D you also need:
- an ophthalmological report in accordance with Annex 6 FeV not older than two years
- a medical certificate according to Annex 5.1 FeV not older than one year
- a medical report according to Annex 5.2 FeV not older than one year (only class D)
- a certificate of good conduct (class D only), which must be requested from the responsible residents' registration office and is not older than three months
- if necessary, proof of professional driver qualification in the case of commercial goods and / or passenger transport
- foreign driver's license , the is valid at the time of entry and application (if necessary with an official translation; the necessity can only be decided after a consultation),
- Applicant has main residence in Hamburg
- You must have lived in a third country for at least six months in order to have the driving license acquired there converted into a German one.
Note: Passing a theoretical and practical driving test is a prerequisite for issuing a German driving license. The test can only take place when the driving school has determined the required test maturity.
You can also obtain information in other languages from the BMVI link (see below).
Further information on whether an examination is required in connection with the description can be found in Annex 11 to the FeV (see link below).
Only the driving license offices LBV-Mitte and LBV-Nord are responsible for the transfer of driving licenses from third countries. Make sure to book an appointment for this.
Appointments are booked via the LBV. Proceed as follows here:
1. Visit the website to book an appointment (see link below) and select the service for converting foreign driving licenses to temporary EU card driving licenses .
2. Use the location selection to display appointments at a specific location.
3. After selecting the location, use the calendar displayed to select a free appointment (date and time).
4. Now enter your name and your e-mail address for booking.
5. You will receive an email. Please confirm the appointment.
Please bring the appointment confirmation that you will receive with you to the appointment.
LBV online services
LBV appointment bookings
State Office for Transport (contact details)
Appendix 11 FEV
BMVI - Validity of foreign driving licenses (driving licenses) in the Federal Republic of Germany
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication
No information available