Driver's license, exchange
Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Geburtenjahrgänge 1953-1958: Sie müssen Ihren Papierführerschein bis zum 19.07.2022 tauschen.
Geburtenjahrgänge 1959-1964: Sie müssen Ihren Papierführerschein bis zum 19.01.2023 tauschen.

Born between 1953 and 1958: You must exchange your paper driving license by July 19, 2022.
Born between 1959 and 1964: You must exchange your paper driving license by January 19, 2023.
Further deadlines for the exchange of paper driving licenses and unlimited EU card driving licenses can be found on the LBV homepage (see under Links).

The driver's license classes are usually retained. Exceptions apply to classes 2 and 3 , there are changes here if you have reached the age of 50. (see under "Important information")

  • a valid identity card or passport with a current registration certificate
  • a biometric passport photo 35 x 45 millimeters
  • the German paper license
  • a copy of the index card , if the paper license was not issued in Hamburg (the applicant can apply for the copy himself or commission the LBV, which delays the process, however, further information can be found under "Links")
  • the appointment confirmation

For an extension of a truck driver's license of the old classes 2 and 3 you also need the following documents:

  • an ophthalmological report in accordance with Annex 6 of the Driving License Ordinance (FeV) not older than two years
  • a medical report in accordance with Annex 5.1 of the FeV not older than one year
If you are no longer interested in extending the old classes and owner rights, you do not need a certificate and can continue to drive vehicles up to 7.5 tons plus trailers over 3.5 tons if the total weight does not exceed 12 tons.


The application can only be submitted to the LBV or the customer center if the applicant's main residence is in Hamburg.

To apply for an exchange, you must present yourself personally.


Driver's license exchange 2033
By January 19, 2033, all EU citizens must have uniform temporary driving licenses. Licenses issued before January 19, 2013 must be exchanged by then. Further information and deadlines can be found under Links.
You can apply for the exchange in the customer centers of the district offices (only paper driving licenses) or in the LBV at all locations as well as at LBV-Mobil.

Exceeding the age of 50
If the age of 50 has been exceeded for more than 5 years, a theoretical and a practical test will be required for classes C and CE (formerly class 2 ).
With the old class 3 , it is no longer possible to drive vehicles over 7.5 tons (CE 79).

appointment booking
Proceed as follows there:
1. Under the Driving license service group, select the service Exchange of a German driver's license for a temporary EU card driver's license.
2. If you want to display the next free appointments depending on the location, choose location selection.
3. Select date picker to display the next available appointments regardless of location.
4. Now select a free appointment (date and time) in the displayed calendar.
5. Now enter your name and email address to make the booking.

6. You will receive an email. Please confirm the appointment.

Please be sure to take the appointment confirmation that you will receive after booking with you to the appointment.

Related Links

  • Driver's license, exchange, application to residents' office
  • LBV-Mobil
  • LBV appointment bookings
  • LBV index card copy
  • State Office for Transport (contact details)
  • Important information and deadlines for the 2033 driver's license exchange

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available