Vehicle re-registration, from outside to Hamburg with a change of owner

A vehicle re-registration is always given when a vehicle is brought from outside to Hamburg as part of the move. A vehicle re-registration is also given if a Hamburg resident buys a registered vehicle away from home.

The following documents must be available for admission:
  • a valid identity card or passport with a current confirmation of registration from the vehicle owner
  • the registration certificate part I and II (vehicle registration and vehicle registration document) or a de-registration certificate
  • the electronic insurance confirmation as an eVB code (available from motor vehicle insurance)
  • the previous license plates if re-labeling is desired
  • a declaration of consent from all legal guardians for persons who are not fully legally competent
  • Valid inspection certificate of the main inspection (HU) , if an inspection was required for the first time, as well as proof of the safety inspection and emissions test carried out, if applicable
  • a SEPA combined mandate in the original for the collection of vehicle tax by direct debit (form can be found under Services and Links)
    If the tax is not to be paid by the keeper himself, but by a so-called third party willing to pay, a copy of the ID of the third party willing to pay is required.
  • a right of disposal (e.g. purchase contract, certificate of inheritance, drafting contract), if the holder has previously died
  • the appointment confirmation

if an authorized representative submits the application on your behalf:

  • the legibly completed power of attorney in the original with the legible color copy of the identity of the principal . Note: The color copy is to be provided with the note "COPY".
  • the authorized representative's ID in the original

Companies or associations must also submit the following documents:

  • a company / association certificate showing the Hamburg address (e.g. an extract from the commercial register or an extract from the association register)

if an authorized representative makes the application:

  • the legibly completed power of attorney in the original with the legible color copy of the ID of the person authorized to act . Note: The color copy is to be provided with the note "COPY".
  • the authorized representative's ID in the original


The vehicle can only be re-registered with the Landesbetrieb Verkehr (LBV) if the main place of residence of the owner under registration law is already in Hamburg. You can therefore only change the registration of the car after a personal change of registration at the customer center has been made and the new Hamburg address has already been entered on your identification documents.


Appointment booking
Appointments are booked via the LBV. Proceed as follows here:
1. Visit the website (see link below).
Select the service description of a vehicle under the service group Registration, private customers. If the old vehicle is to be deregistered at the same time, select the service transfer of a vehicle and a deregistration.
2. Use the location selection to display appointments at a specific location.
3. After selecting the location, use the calendar displayed to select a free appointment (date and time).
4. Now enter your name and your e-mail address for booking.
5. You will receive an email. Please confirm the appointment.

Please bring the appointment confirmation that you will receive with you to the appointment.
If the keeper and owner of the vehicle are not identical (as is the case with leasing vehicles, for example), the LBV must be informed of whom the vehicle is to be registered for.

Related Links

  • LBV vehicle re-registration
  • LBV online services
  • LBV-Mobil
  • LBV appointment bookings
  • LBV desired license plate
  • SEPA vehicle tax mandate
  • LBV authorization power of attorney
  • LBV, SEPA mandate for vehicle tax
  • State Office for Transport (contact details)

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available