Vehicle registration, decommissioning, decommissioning
At the Landesbetrieb Verkehr, both vehicles with Hamburg license plates and with foreign license plates can be put out of service (deregistered).
- a valid identity card or passport with a current confirmation of registration from the vehicle owner
- the registration certificate I (vehicle registration document)
- the license plates of the vehicle
Special feature if a vehicle has been sold but the buyer has not re-registered and there is no proper sales contract:
- valid identity card or passport with current registration confirmation from the vehicle owner
- an affidavit ; this can be handed in directly and personally by the vehicle owner to the Landesbetrieb Verkehr (LBV) or via a notary
- only the vehicle-related part (license plate) with the stamp sticker of the vehicle to be deregistered if only one vehicle is to be deregistered
- the common part of the license plate if both vehicles are to be deregistered
- Visit the website (see link below).
- Under service group registration, private customers select the service de-registration of a vehicle .
- Use location selection to display appointments at a specific location. Use the date picker to find the next available date regardless of your location.
- Select a free appointment (date and time) in the calendar that is displayed.
- Enter your name and email address to book.
You will then receive a confirmation of the appointment. Please bring this with you to the appointment.
License plate reservation
If you only want to deregister the vehicle at short notice, you can reserve the old license plate for up to one year for re-registration (for the same owner and the same vehicle). This can only be done at the Landesbetrieb Verkehr (LBV) for Hamburg license plates (with HH) and is chargeable. Reservations can be made immediately after deregistering.
If you want to transfer your vehicle abroad, we recommend deregistering in Germany beforehand. All further information can be found under "Links".
Drive after deregistration
After deregistration, the vehicle and the previously assigned license plates may be used until the end of the day of deregistration if it is covered by the vehicle insurance. This means that Hamburg vehicles can still drive directly to the storage location in Hamburg or in an adjoining registration area.
Decommissioning (deregistration) of a stolen vehicle
Only possible if the vehicle is registered in Hamburg. The license plate is blocked for ten years so that it cannot be reissued. To do this, you need a police theft report.
Vehicle sales without a sales contract
There must be a complete sales announcement (the information on the buyer and the vehicle are complete and correct).
Incomplete sales advertisement
If the information on the purchaser is incomplete or incorrect, the previous holder must submit an affidavit of the sale to the LBV. For this, the personal appearance of the holder with presentation of the valid identity card is required.
In the case of legal entities, the affidavit is issued by the person authorized to represent. The authorization to represent must be proven.
The previous holder bears the costs at the end of the procedure.
The procedure for decommissioning (deregistration) can only be started three months after the vehicle has been sold.
Section 13, Paragraph 4 of the Vehicle Registration Ordinance
LBV online services
LBV appointment bookings
LBV desired license plate
Internet-based vehicle registration
State Office for Transport (contact details)
LBV wish indicator reservation extension
LBV vehicle export abroad
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication
No information available