Declaration of consent for minors when traveling without a guardian

If your child or another minor for whom you have custody goes on a trip abroad without your companion, it is advisable to provide them with an informal declaration of consent and a copy of your own ID page in addition to the required identification document.
The declaration of consent should show that you agree to travel abroad. They facilitate the work of the border police to prevent child abduction or the unauthorized removal of children from the sphere of influence of one or both legal guardians.
The following content is recommended for the declaration of consent:
  • the personal details of your child or the other minor for whom you have custody
  • Your own personal details and information about your availability
  • the planned itinerary
  • the personal details of adult accompanying persons
  • the certification of your signature (by a notary)
  • If necessary, a translation of the entire declaration of consent into the national language of the target country (for example by a translation agency)
Informal declaration of consent, as well as a copy of the identification data page of the legal guardian.


For binding information on the respective provisions in the destination country, please contact the responsible diplomatic mission in the Federal Republic of Germany. Some countries do not allow children who are traveling with only one custodial parent to enter the country without a declaration of consent from the other custodial parent. If both parents have custody and one parent would like to travel abroad alone with the child, the other parent should therefore also give such a declaration of consent. This makes it easier for the border authorities to distinguish normal travel with the child from attempted child abduction.

Related Links

  • Information on the declaration of consent for minors (Federal Foreign Office)
  • Country overview of the missions abroad
  • Travel and safety information (Federal Foreign Office)
  • Information on traveling with children across German borders (Federal Police)

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available