Residence status if the national passport is lost

In principle, the embassy / consulate is responsible for issuing passports. The reissue can take a few weeks.

Foreigners are obliged to report the loss / theft of their passport to the immigration authorities immediately. There you will receive a certificate of lost identity papers (with a passport photo if you wish). This is usually required by the embassy / consulate.

The theft of the passport must also be reported to the police.

After receiving the new passport, you must visit the immigration office again to apply for the new residence permit.

If the passport is found again, the responsible immigration office must be informed immediately.

  • Existing documents, if possible with a photo, for example an identity card or driver's license
  • other documents to establish your identity
  • a biometric passport photo
  • in the event of theft, the police will also report the theft


Appearance in person is required.

Related Links

  • Federal Employment Agency (Hamburg Employment Agency)
  • Foreigner matters
  • Leaflet overview on immigration matters (visa) of the Central Immigration Office, HTML
  • Law on the residence, employment and integration of foreigners in the federal territory

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available