Stay for the purpose of participating in the Working Holiday or Youth Mobility program

For a maximum of one year of work and travel, the following age limits apply in Germany for participation in the program:
  • For Japan, Korea and New Zealand between 18 and under 31 years of age
  • For Australia between 18 and under 31 years of age
  • For Canada between 18 and under 36 years of age

Working holiday agreements exist between Germany and Australia, New Zealand, Japan, the Republic of Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong and Chile.

The Youth Mobility Agreement exists between Germany and Canada.

  • valid passport
  • 1 current biometric passport photo 35mm x 45mm, front view, light background
  • International travel health insurance with a validity of one year
  • Proof of own funds of at least 2000, - (e.g. by bank statement)


In the case of visa-free entry , the residence permit can be issued for a maximum of one year.

It is possible to apply for a corresponding visa in your home country, which will then be issued for one year. Then there is no need for an interview with the foreigners department in Germany.

Section 18 of the Residence Act

Related Links

  • Federal Employment Agency (Hamburg Employment Agency)
  • Foreigner matters
  • Leaflet overview on immigration matters (visa) of the Central Immigration Office, HTML
  • Law on the residence, employment and integration of foreigners in the federal territory
  • Online service: Hamburg residence permit

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available