Residence card for family members of EU and EEA citizens

If family members of a citizen of the European Union or the European Economic Area who are entitled to free movement and they do not have EU citizenship themselves, a residence card for family members of EU and EEA citizens can be applied for at the responsible immigration department.
  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric passport photo 35mm x 45mm, light background
  • Proof of kinship with the EU citizen (e.g. birth certificate, marriage certificate, registered same-sex partnership)
  • Health insurance coverage


  • EU citizen living in Hamburg or a citizen of Iceland, Liechtenstein or Norway who is entitled to free movement
  • is not an EU or EEA citizen himself
  • recognized marriage or same-sex registered civil partnership with the EU citizen
  • unmarried minor child of an EU citizen
  • Parent of the EU citizen


Family members of Germans do not get a residence card under the Freedom of Movement Act, but can receive a residence permit under the Residence Act if they are not an EU or EEA citizen themselves.
Section 5 (2) Freedom of Movement Act / EU

Related Links

  • Federal Employment Agency (Hamburg Employment Agency)
  • Foreigner matters
  • Leaflet overview on immigration matters (visa) of the Central Immigration Office, HTML
  • Law on the residence, employment and integration of foreigners in the federal territory
  • Online service: Hamburg residence permit

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available