Residence for the purpose of employment as a visiting scientist or academic staff

A residence permit can be issued if the foreigner wishes to work as a visiting scientist, academic or technical staff with an employment contract at a university or public research institution in research and teaching.
  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric passport photo 35mm x 45mm, frontal view with a neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Proof of health insurance
  • Current employment contract
  • In the event of an extension, the last three pay slips


  • Working at a public university or research institution
Section 18 (4) of the Residence Act

Section 20 Residence Act (AufenthG)

Related Links

  • Federal Employment Agency (Hamburg Employment Agency)
  • Foreigner matters
  • Leaflet overview on immigration matters (visa) of the Central Immigration Office, HTML
  • Law on the residence, employment and integration of foreigners in the federal territory
  • Online service: Hamburg residence permit

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available