Residence for the purpose of employment as an au pair

Au pairs who are not citizens of a member state of the European Union (EU member state) or of Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland have a residence permit for the purpose of au Apply for pair employment.

After registering at the registration office, au pairs from EU member states and from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway will receive a certificate from the immigration office about their right of residence under Community law.

Citizens of Switzerland can obtain a (declaratory) residence permit from the immigration authorities to certify their right of residence.

Au pairs who are nationals of Australia, Israel, Japan, Canada, the Republic of Korea, New Zealand and the United States of America can enter Germany without a visa regardless of the purpose and length of their stay. You have to apply for the residence permit at the immigration authorities responsible for your place of residence within 3 months after entering the federal territory. As a citizen of the above-mentioned countries, one should contact the German diplomatic mission abroad regarding the question of whether entry with a visa for au pair employment is recommended despite the fact that there is basically no visa requirement.

Citizens of Croatia need an EU work permit from the Employment Agency to work as an au pair.

  • Valid passport
  • 1 current biometric passport photo 35mm x 45mm, frontal view with a neutral facial expression and closed mouth, looking straight into the camera, light background
  • Au Pair contract
  • Proof of German language skills (when entering the country with a visa, language skills are usually checked by the German diplomatic mission abroad.


  • Age: between 18 and 26 years
  • Basic knowledge of the German language
  • People who do not belong to an EU member state and have not yet worked in Germany

The Au Pair employment must be in a family

  • in which at least one parent speaks German as their mother tongue (if German is spoken in the family as a family language, approval can be given if the au pair does not come from the host parents' home country)
  • with at least one minor child who constantly lives in the household
  • there must be no relationship between the au pair and the host parents


In the case of visa-free entry, the application for the residence permit and the work permit for the au pair activity must be submitted no later than three months after entry. The same applies to entry with a visa.


The residence permit for the purpose of au pair employment must be applied for at the immigration authorities before the entry visa expires.

If you enter the country without a visa, you must apply for a residence permit for the purpose of au pair employment within 3 months of your arrival. You can only work as an au pair after you have been granted a residence permit for au pair work.

After consent to employment, the residence permit can be issued for a maximum of one year.

§ 5 Freedom of Movement Act / EU (FreizügG / EU)

Related Links

  • Federal Employment Agency (Hamburg Employment Agency)
  • Foreigner matters
  • Leaflet overview on immigration matters (visa) of the Central Immigration Office, HTML
  • Law on the residence, employment and integration of foreigners in the federal territory
  • Online service: Hamburg residence permit

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available