Electronic residence permit - loss or theft

If the electronic residence permit (eAT) is no longer available due to loss or theft, a new application for the electronic residence permit (eAT) is required, as the passport number is noted on it.

The chip card can be blocked if it is lost. In your own interest, the loss of the chip card should be reported immediately to the responsible customer center foreigner affairs.

Foreigners who want to stay in Germany need a residence permit.

Since September 1, 2011, the electronic residence permit (eAT) has replaced the following residence permits: the residence permit previously issued as an adhesive label, settlement permit and EC long-term residence permit, the residence card and the permanent residence card.

The previous residence permits in the passports and passport substitute papers remain valid.

  • 1 biometrically readable passport photo from the latest time (35x45 mm without border, background light and monochrome. Sample - see link Federal Ministry of the Interior)
  • Fully completed and signed application form
  • Valid travel or national passport or passport substitute
  • Proof of income
  • Minors: The minor and at least one custodian must appear in person.

Depending on the purpose of the stay (work, study, language course, etc.), additional documents may be required.


The eAT is not issued on the day the application is submitted. The manufacturing time can take four weeks or even longer. It is therefore advisable to speak to the immigration authorities in good time before the validity period of the previous residence permit expires. A lead time of 6-8 weeks is currently assumed.

A personal interview when submitting the application is always required.

The PIN / PUK letter is sent regardless of its completion. Applicants aged 16 and over receive this letter.

Related Links

  • Central Immigration Office - Hamburg
  • Federal Ministry of the Interior and Homeland - sample photo board (external link)
  • Leaflet overview on immigration matters (visa) of the Central Immigration Office, HTML
  • eAT - electronic residence permit
  • Central residents' office - information on immigration law
  • Residence / settlement - applications (multilingual)

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available