Electronic residence permit
Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Foreigners who want to stay in Germany need a residence permit / residence permit.

Since September 1, 2011, the electronic residence permit (eAT) has replaced the following residence permits: the residence permit previously issued as an adhesive label, settlement permit and EC long-term residence permit, the residence card and the permanent residence card.

The previous residence permits in the passports and passport substitute papers remain valid. An exchange / transfer does not take place and is also not required as long as the title and passport are valid.

Exchange or transfer is not possible, in these cases there is always a new issue (eAT).

All third-country nationals (including infants and small children) receive their own electronic residence permit.

Without exception, the immigration authority responsible for the place of residence is responsible.

The electronic residence permit is issued in credit card format. It contains a contactless chip. The following biometric data of the cardholder is stored on the chip: 1. Photo, 2. Fingerprints (from the age of 6).
Only official bodies (such as immigration authorities, police, registration authorities) are allowed to read the contents of the chip.

The validity of the electronic residence permit depends on the duration of the residence permit and also requires a valid passport. In the case of permanent residence permits, the card itself is valid for a maximum of 10 years.

If desired, the eAT can also be used as an online identification function or a qualified electronic signature. The responsible immigration authorities can provide more information. You can obtain detailed information on online use and other functions by calling 01801-333333 (3.9 ct / minute / landline).

  • 1 biometrically readable passport photo from the latest time (35x45 mm without border, background light and monochrome. Sample - see link Federal Ministry of the Interior)
  • Fully completed and signed application form
  • Valid travel or national passport or passport substitute
  • Proof of adequate health insurance coverage
  • Proof of income
  • Minors: The minor and at least one custodian must appear in person.

Depending on the purpose of the stay (work, study, language course, etc.), additional documents may be required.

A new, up-to-date biometric passport photo must always be presented for a new issue.


The German diplomatic mission abroad is responsible for foreigners who are still abroad.

The foreigners department in the district responsible for the place of residence is responsible for foreigners who are already in Germany and who have a residence permit , as well as for foreigners who are allowed to enter Germany without a visa.

Foreigners who have entered illegally or who have a tolerance or residence permit must be to the Central Immigration Office of Population-Central Office - s link..

The eAT is not issued on the day the application is submitted. The manufacturing time can take four weeks or even longer. It is therefore advisable to speak to the immigration authorities in good time before the validity period of the previous residence permit expires. A lead time of 6-8 weeks is currently assumed.

A personal interview when submitting the application is always required.

The PIN / PUK letter is sent regardless of its completion. Applicants aged 16 and over receive this letter.

When moving, the new registration address on the electronic residence permit must be changed.

Responsibility lies with the customer center foreigner affairs in whose district the holder of the residence permit has moved.

Related Links

  • Central Immigration Office - Hamburg
  • Federal Ministry of the Interior - photo sample board (external link)
  • Leaflet overview on immigration matters (visa) of the Central Immigration Office, HTML
  • eAT - electronic residence permit
  • Central residents' office - information on immigration law
  • Residence / settlement - applications (multilingual)
  • Online service: Hamburg residence permit

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available