ID card, new application after loss, theft or name change
Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

If the identity card is no longer available due to loss or theft or if there has been a name change, a new identity card is required.
  • The new identity card can be used as electronic proof of identity.
  • This function is automatically switched off for children and adolescents up to the age of 16.
  • Later activation (from 16 years) possible. The applicant must appear in person, regardless of age.
  • Taking fingerprints has been mandatory since August 2nd, 2021.
  • The signature is compulsory from the age of 10.
  • Validity: up to 24 years = 6 years / from 24 years = 10 years.
  • Before applying, the customer center will give you a brief consultation on how to use the online ID function.

Detailed information on online use and other functions is available by calling 0180-1-33 33 33 (3.9 ct per minute from a landline) or on the Internet at

  • 1 biometrically readable passport photo from the latest time (35x45 mm without border, background light and monochrome. Sample - see link Federal Ministry of the Interior).


  • In case of loss:
    if available: valid passport, expired identity card / passport / children's passport on which the holder can be identified beyond doubt
    A birth or marriage certificate is recommended due to the correct spelling of the name.
    If the previous identity document is issued outside of Hamburg: The extract from the identity card and passport register of the foreign community is requested from the customer center
  • In the event of theft:
    see loss, in addition:
    The theft of the identity card must be reported to the police and the theft report issued there must be presented.
  • Under 16 years:
    Birth certificate,
    ALWAYS original ID cards for ALL custodians.
    If a legal guardian is not present, a written declaration of consent from the legal guardian who is not present when the application is submitted.
    Proof of sole custody.
  • Name change:
    old ID
    Proof of name change.
    If the previous identification document was issued outside of Hamburg: birth or marriage certificate.


  • personal interview when submitting the application (also applies to minors)
  • German citizenship according to Article 116 of the Basic Law
  • For minors (before the age of 16 / passport before the age of 18), the application must also be made personally by the legal representative. This is usually both parents if they are married to each other.
  • registered in Hamburg with an apartment.
    If you are registered in Hamburg with a second residence, the approval of the identification authority at the place of your main residence is required for the issuance of the identification document; this is obtained from the customer center.


In urgent cases, a provisional identity card (valid for a maximum of 3 months) can be applied for at the same time and handed over immediately; another biometrically readable passport photo from the latest time is required for this (3.5x4.5 cm without border, background light and monochrome).
§ 9 Identity Card Act

Related Links

  • Federal Ministry of the Interior - photo sample board (external link)
  • Federal Ministry of the Interior - Frequently asked questions about identity cards (external link)
  • Identity card portal
  • ID cards, as electronic proof of identity
  • ID cards, apply for those who are 16 years of age or older
  • ID cards, apply until ID is required (up to 16 years of age)
  • ID cards, pick up
  • Make an appointment online, all customer centers
  • ID cards, have them blocked (if lost or stolen) or unblocked
  • ID cards, serial number
  • Customer centers Hamburg - overview
The application must be made in person. The application will be forwarded to Bundesdruckerei for further processing.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available