Apply for admission as a European lawyer to the Bar Association
Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you are accepted as a European lawyer, you are allowed to work in Germany under the professional title that you are also allowed to use in your country of origin. This is not permitted in Germany without admission to the Bar Association.
Even if you are accepted, you are not allowed to use the designation "European lawyer" or advertise it.
As a rule, you have to prove every three years that you are still admitted to the bar in your country of origin. Otherwise your recognition as a European lawyer in Germany will be withdrawn again.
If there are other reasons why you are no longer allowed to work as a lawyer, you are obliged to inform the Bar Association of these reasons.
- Proof of citizenship
- Proof of a certificate from the country of origin
- Proof of criminal record
- Proof of birth certificate
- Proof of academic degree
- Proof of professional liability insurance
- Proof of fee payment
- You are already admitted to the bar in your home country (in the European Union / European Economic Area or Switzerland).
- You have submitted proof of professional liability insurance or the submission of a provisional cover letter.
§ 4 Law on the Activities of European Lawyers in Germany (EuRAG)
Federal Lawyers' Act (BRAO)
Professional code of conduct for the legal profession in Germany
Hanseatic Bar Association Hamburg
Information from the Hamburg Bar Association
Application for admission to the Hanseatic Bar Association
Information from the Federal Bar Association
- Your documents will be processed by the responsible bar association and checked for completeness.
- If you do not meet the requirements, the application for membership will be rejected.
- If your documents are incomplete, the Bar Association will request the missing documents.
- If you fail to submit the required documents, your application for membership will be rejected.
- If your documents are complete and there are no obstacles to your admission, admission will be approved.
- You will receive the approval certificate by post.
Responsible for the content
Last update or date of publication
No information available