Re-notarization of a civil partnership abroad

If someone has established a civil partnership or same-sex marriage abroad, an application can be made to the registry office of the place of residence for this to be recorded in the German civil partnership register.

In principle, properly issued civil partnership documents from abroad are recognized in Germany. There is no obligation to re-authenticate.

The entry in the civil partnership register can be advantageous because the local registry office can issue a German civil partnership certificate. The registry office checks the effectiveness of the civil partnership or marriage according to German law and the respective foreign law. It is also checked whether the name declarations noted in the certificate are effective; name declarations are included if necessary.

The re-certification can only take place after prior consultation with the responsible registry office. During the consultation you will find out which documents have to be presented for re-certification. An appointment must be made for the consultation.


A civil partnership established abroad can only be entered in the German civil partnership register if it has been legally established. In addition, it must not contradict German law.

The re-certification of the civil partnership is possible for:

  • German citizens
  • Stateless, homeless foreigners or foreign refugees with habitual residence in Germany

The following is entitled to apply:

  • every life partner
  • both died:
    - their parents and
    - their children


The registry office in whose district the person entitled to apply is domiciled is responsible (habitual residence). If this does not result in any jurisdiction, the registry office I in Berlin is responsible.
  • Sections 9, 15 and 35 of the Personal Status Act (PStG)
  • Introductory Act to the BGB
  • BGB
  • Citizenship Act
  • Federal Expellees and Refugee Act
  • Law on the procedure in family matters and in the subjects of voluntary jurisdiction
  • Consular Act
  • Foreign laws (property law)

Related Links

  • Registry office I in Berlin
  • Re-notarization of a marriage abroad
  • Re-certification of a death abroad
  • Re-certification of a birth abroad

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available