Birth abroad certification

If you or a close relative were born abroad, you can apply for the birth to be subsequently recorded in the birth register (formerly the birth register) at the registry office in Germany.
There is no obligation to recertify – properly issued birth certificates from abroad are generally recognized in Germany.
However, the subsequent entry in the birth register can be advantageous because the local registry office can then issue you with a German birth certificate. Any translations and certifications of the foreign document will therefore no longer be necessary in the future
  • foreign birth certificate with translation; if necessary legalization / apostille
  • Valid identity card, passport or travel document
  • Marriage and birth certificates of the parents of the person to whom the entry relates
  • if applicable, certificate of naturalization / certificate of citizenship
In addition, the submission of other documents may be required - please inquire about this in advance at the registry office.


Post-certification of birth is possible for
  • German nationals
  • Stateless, homeless foreigners and foreign refugees with habitual residence in Germany
are eligible to apply
  • the person to be registered himself
  • their parents
  • their children
  • the spouse or life partner
§ 36 Civil Status Act (PStG)
Nationality Act (StAG)

Related Links

  • Registry office I in Berlin
  • Re-notarization of a marriage abroad
  • Re-certification of a death abroad
  • Re-notarization of a civil partnership abroad
For details on the modalities and the documents that the registry office requires from you, please call them in advance.
  • Gather the necessary documents and go to the registry office.
  • The registrar will check whether certification by a German registry office is possible.
  • If the requirements are met, the entry in the birth register can take place.
If necessary, the registry office will issue you with a birth certificate after the entry in the register has taken place.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available