Exit from the Church
Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Churches, religious communities and ideological communities are treated equally in German law. In the following, they are all referred to as religious communities. If they are corporations under public law, they can levy church tax on their relatives.
Overview of religious communities - corporation under public law - see link.

Anyone wishing to resign from a religious community under public law in the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg must declare their resignation to the responsible registry office.

Federal identity card or passport with last registration certificate.


- Personal appearance required.
- Power of attorney not possible.

- Until the child reaches the age of 14, the custodians must personally declare their departure at the registry office. The presence of the child is not required.
- From the age of 14 the child is of church age and can make the declaration himself.


  • The registry office in whose district you are registered is responsible.
  • The tax office is automatically notified of the change or the departure from the church.
  • The declaration of resignation is also possible in writing via a notary. There are additional costs that you should clarify directly with the notary.
Hamburg Church Tax Act (HmbKiStG)

Related Links

  • Hamburg Church Tax Act (HmbKiStG)
  • Religious and ideological communities - corporations under public law in Hamburg

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available