Exchange of an old driver's license (pink/grey) for a new driver's license (application at the Residents' Registration Office)
Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.

Wenn Sie noch im Besitz eines Papierführerscheins alten Rechts sind (rosa oder grau), müssen Sie diesen innerhalb der gesetzlich vorgeschriebenen Frist, in einen neuen Kartenführerschein umtauschen.
A gray or pink paper license issued up to and including December 31, 1998 must be exchanged by the following dates unless you renounce the license.
  • Year of birth before 1953 - exchange until January 19, 2033
  • Year of birth 1953 to 1958 - exchange until January 19, 2022
  • Year of birth 1959 to 1964 - exchange until January 19, 2023
  • Year of birth 1965 to 1970 - exchange until January 19, 2024
  • Year of birth from 1971 - exchange until January 19, 2025

A medical examination or other checks are not associated with the exchange of documents.
The rights documented in the driver's license remain in place even if the document is exchanged. Annex 3 of the Driving License Ordinance (FeV) determines which driving license classes are assigned in detail when exchanging a driving license.

In principle, the Landesbetrieb Verkehr (LBV) is responsible. However, you can also exchange your old paper driving license (pink or grey) in the Hamburg customer centers. They forward the application to the Landesbetrieb Verkehr (LBV).
  • Identity document (ID card or passport)
  • Current photo suitable for biometrics (size 45 x 35 mm, portrait format, frontal photo)
    The photo must be brought to the appointment, it cannot be taken digitally in the customer center.
  • old class 3 paper driving license (pink or grey) or DDR driving licence
  • If the old paper driving license was not issued in Hamburg, you can apply for a so-called index card copy from the authority that issued your current driving license and bring it with you to the appointment


  • Main residence is Hamburg
  • Class 3 driver's license (pink or gray driver's license) or DDR driver's license
  • Personal appearance required


The validity of the driver's license issued from January 19, 2013 is limited to 15 years.
  • Section 24a of the Driving License Ordinance (FeV)
  • Section 25 of the Driving License Ordinance (FeV)
  • Appendix 3 of the Driving License Ordinance (FeV)
  • Appendix 8e of the Driving License Ordinance (FeV)
  • Fee schedule for road traffic measures (GebOSt)

Related Links

  • Driver's license, exchange (Landesbetrieb Verkehr)
  • LBV online services
  • Landesbetrieb Verkehr
  • LBV-Mobil
  • LBV appointment bookings
  • Make an appointment online, all customer centers
  • Customer centers Hamburg - overview
  • These driving licenses must be exchanged (Federal Government)
  • Early exchange of driving licenses (BMDV)
  • EU driving license (BMDV)
  • Photo sample board (Federal Printing Office)
  • Make an appointment at a Hamburg customer center (online service; see links)
  • Submit your application in person at the customer center
  • Your application will be forwarded by the customer center to the Landesbetrieb Verkehr
  • Your old paper driver's license will be canceled when you apply, but will remain valid and only become invalid after 3 months
  • The new driver's license will be sent to you by the Federal Printing Office by registered mail
  • If your old driving license was not issued in Hamburg, the Landesbetrieb Verkehr (LBV) is responsible. However, applications can also be accepted by the customer centers. However, you must expect a longer processing time.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available