Letters of commitment, stay up to 3 months

If you want to invite a foreign visitor who needs a visa to enter the country, it is usually necessary that you submit a declaration of commitment to the customer center.

With this declaration you undertake to ensure the livelihood of the visitor, including benefits in the event of illness, for the duration of the stay.
You can only contact the resident customer center responsible for your place of residence.

The VISITOR requires:
  • exact personal details (first and last name, date and place of birth),
  • Address abroad,
  • The serial number of the passport is desirable.

The HOST requires:

  • ID card or passport,
  • Proof of financial capacity. In addition to notices about child benefit, child allowance or parental benefit for EMPLOYEES, also by submitting the wage / salary statement / notification of earnings for the last month.
  • For RENTNERS: Pension notice showing the amount of the current monthly pension.
  • SELF-EMPLOYED / FREEDOMERS: Last tax assessment and current profit and loss account or other evidence (e.g. certified by a tax advisor) showing the monthly net income or the current monthly profit. Account statements or savings books are NOT sufficient as evidence.
  • LEGAL PERSONS (e.g. GmbH): Excerpt from the commercial register (not older than 3 months), profit and loss account or other evidence (visit by the managing director or an authorized signatory).
  • Recipients of UNEMPLOYMENT BENEFIT I: last notification of approval


  • The inviting party must appear in person.
  • Proof of financial capacity (see links)
  • The form for the declaration of commitment is only available from the customer center responsible for your place of residence and must also be handed in there.
  • Representatives of legal persons can contact the customer center responsible for the registered office of the legal person or the customer center responsible for their place of residence. You can find out who is responsible when you enter your registration address in the field above.


A declaration of commitment cannot be made by the following persons: Recipients of benefits under the AsylbLG, SGB II, SGB XII or a grant. Not even from foreigners if they have the following: Duldung, fiction certificate, residence permit, visa according to the Residence Act or the Visa Code, short-term residence permits.
Section 68 Residence Act

Related Links

  • Leaflet: Declarations of commitment, stay up to 3 months, PDF, barrier-free, 154 KB, 2 pages
  • Make an appointment online, all customer centers
  • Declarations of commitment: Instructions on the storage and use of application data in the VIS
Personal interview required. You will then receive the declaration of commitment.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available