Change of surname due to the declaration on the name of life partners

There are many options when it comes to determining the name. In some cases, special features must also be taken into account (e.g. for the names of foreign partners or if there are children born before the civil partnership). In these cases in particular, you should seek advice from the registry office. You can also request a leaflet from many registry offices by telephone or e-mail, or view or print it out on the Internet at your municipality.
  • identity card
  • civil partnership certificate


establishment of a civil partnership


The civil partner whose name does not become the civil partnership name can precede or add his maiden name or the name actually used by declaration to the civil partnership name. The declaration can be revoked at any time.
  • § 3 Civil Partnership Act (LPartG)
  • § 42 Civil Status Act (PStG)

Related Links

  • Name declarations
  • Name change
  • When establishing the civil partnership, you give the registrar a declaration of the names you and your civil partner want to use in the future.
  • If you want to change your name at a later date, speak to the registry office in person.
  • Foreign life partners are fundamentally subject to the naming rights of their home country. If (at least) one of the future life partners has their habitual residence in Germany, there is a right to choose between the law of the state to which the foreign life partner belongs and German law.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available