Trade, registration (district office)
- ID card or passport with last registration certificate.
- Extract from the commercial register (for legal partnerships e.g. GmbH, AG, registered merchant, entrepreneurial company)
- Contracts (e.g. via the KG or GmbH)
- Handicraft card (for handicraft activities)
- Notary contract with proof of the cause for entry in the commercial register
- If the entry in the commercial register has not yet been made or the excerpt is not yet available, the notary contract with proof of the reason for the entry in the commercial register is required.
- For the registration of a business of a minor, a permit (a so-called authorization) from the competent local court must be available.
- Individual trades of the individual traders,
- Partnerships (e.g. OHG, GbR) the shareholders authorized to manage,
- KG each personally liable partner, the limited partners of a KG only if they have management authority
- Corporations (e.g. GmbH, AG) the legal representative
A trader is anyone who has a full-time or part-time self-employed, profit-making and long-term activity.
Exceptions are so-called
- freelance work (e.g. doctor, architect, tax advisor),
- Primary production (e.g. agriculture and forestry),
- higher quality personal services and
- mere administration of one's own assets.
In the case of legal entities (e.g. GmbH, AG), the obligation to notify lies with the legal representative (s) (e.g. managing director of a GmbH).
You can register in person or in writing by post, e-mail or fax using the form (see: Further information - Downloads) (in the latter case, please enclose copies of the documents listed under required documents). A personal registration is recommended in order to be able to clarify questions in doubt quickly and conclusively. If you speak to us in person, you will receive the confirmation when you register. The registration of a trade can also be done by a person who can be shown to have been authorized and identified in writing by the trade owner.
Before a minor can register a business, the legal representative must authorize the minor to run a business independently and the competent local court (department for family matters) must approve this authorization.
Among other things, you will receive a message from the business advertisement:
- the responsible tax office,
- the Chamber of Commerce or the Chamber of Crafts,
- the professional association,
- the state office for occupational health and safety.
This notification does not replace a special reporting requirement; In particular, a registration with the Chamber of Crafts is still required in the case of craft businesses.
The entry in the commercial register does not replace / contain the notification according to § 14 GewO (notification obligation). The trade must therefore be registered separately with the responsible district office to, from and to be re-registered.
Business registrations are also accepted at the Hamburg Chamber of Commerce and the Hamburg Chamber of Crafts.
Some commercial activities require a permit. Others are subject to supervision. Additional requirements apply to them. Find out at an early stage what personal, financial and professional requirements you have to meet in order to be able to work in these commercial areas. If a permit is also required for your business (e.g. security business, operation of a restaurant) and this is not available, the competent authority can prohibit the continuation of business.
When registering a business, you are obliged under Section 138 AO to provide the responsible tax office with further information about the circumstances that are significant for taxation. You must electronically submit the “tax registration questionnaire” provided for this within one month of the opening of the business or permanent establishment using the officially prescribed data record. To fill out and submit the questionnaire, please use the service
Schedule of fees for economic administration
Business registrations, Hamburg Chamber of Commerce
Business registrations, Hamburg Chamber of Crafts
Business advertisement online
You can register the trade in person, in writing or electronically. Use the “Business Registration” form for this purpose.
If you as a trader do not register the trade yourself, but rather as a managing partner or as a legal representative, you need a written power of attorney. The power of attorney is only required if the reporting person is not an authorized representative of the business enterprise.
In the case of a personal interview: immediately. In the case of written or electronic registration: up to two weeks, provided the business registration form has been filled out completely and correctly and the necessary documents are available.
If you speak to us personally, you will receive the confirmation when you register.
The responsible body forwards the business registration to other bodies such as the tax office, the Chamber of Crafts or the Chamber of Industry and Commerce and the professional association. If a permit is also required for your business (e.g. security business, operation of a restaurant) and this is not available, the competent authority can prohibit the continuation of business.
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication
No information available