Certificate of good conduct, for submission to an authority

Certificates of good conduct are often required to obtain official permits or to take up work with an authority. If you need a certificate of good conduct, your employer will inform you of this.

Certificates of good conduct can be applied for at the registration office of the main and secondary residence.

If the applicant does not live in Germany: You can apply directly to the Federal Central Register in Bonn (Tel.: +49 228 99410-40) or via the German Embassy abroad.

Alternatively, you can now apply for your certificate of good conduct online. This online application service is offered exclusively by the Federal Office of Justice.
The district customer centers can therefore not provide any information or advice on online applications - neither by telephone nor in person.

  • Federal identity card or passport
  • Address of the authority with file number and intended use
  • If available: confirmation of intended use.


From August 31, 2018, only European certificates of good conduct will be issued for EU citizens.

The certificate is sent directly to the authority.

People without a permanent address or homeless can contact the Hamburg-Mitte customer center.

Sections 30 et seq. Of the Federal Central Register Act (BZRG)

Related Links

  • Federal Office of Justice - apply for a certificate of good conduct online
  • Customer centers Hamburg - overview
You can make an appointment online or by phone.
The clerk forwards the application to the Federal Central Register in Bonn. The certificate is sent to the requesting authority.

You can also use the online service of the Federal Office of Justice (see links).

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available