Certification of a marriage abroad by a German registry office

Properly issued marriage certificates (marriage certificates) from abroad are generally recognized in Germany. There is no obligation for subsequent certification.
However, the subsequent entry in the marriage register can be advantageous because the local registry office can then issue you with a German marriage certificate. Any translations and certifications of the foreign document will therefore no longer be necessary in the future.
  • Marriage certificate (marriage certificate) of the marriage concluded abroad, if necessary with authentication by the competent foreign authority (apostille) or legalization by the German diplomatic mission abroad
  • Valid identity card, passport or travel document
  • if applicable, certificate of naturalization, certificate of nationality
  • Translations of all documents in a foreign language by domestically sworn translators
Other additional documents required:
if the spouses are born in Germany:
  • the birth certificates
If the spouses were born abroad:
  • the birth certificates certified by the competent foreign authority (apostille) or legalized by the German mission abroad
Has a spouse been married before:
  • certified copy from the marriage register of the last previous marriage with notice of dissolution
  • Alternatively or in the case of a previous marriage abroad: Proof of the conclusion and dissolution of all previous marriages - for example marriage certificates, death certificates, all divorce decrees (complete and with a note from the court as to when the judgment became final / "notice of legal force")
  • if necessary, recognition of the foreign divorce by the President of the Higher Regional Court
If a spouse has already established a registered civil partnership:
Evidence of the establishment and dissolution of all civil partnerships


A marriage concluded abroad can only be entered in the German marriage register if it was legally concluded. In addition, it must not contradict German law.

The subsequent certification of the marriage is possible for:
  • German nationals
  • Stateless, homeless foreigners or foreign refugees with habitual residence in Germany
Eligible applicants:
  • each spouse
  • are both deceased:
    • their parents or
    • their children


Since January 1, 2009, certified copies of the family book are no longer issued - the registry office keeps the data in the family book as marriage entries.
Should you require proof, please request a marriage certificate in each case.
If you got married abroad, you can apply to the registry office in your home town to have the marriage subsequently recorded in the German marriage register.
ยงยง 34 f. Civil Status Act (PStG)

Related Links

  • Registry office I in Berlin
  • General register of the Hamburg registry offices
  • State Archives, civil status documents
  • Online service: request for certificates
For details on the modalities and the documents that the registry office requires from you, please call them in advance.
  • Gather the necessary documents and go to the registry office.
  • The registrar will check whether certification by a German registry office is possible.
  • If the requirements are met, the entry in the marriage register can take place.
If necessary, the registry office will issue you a marriage certificate after the entry in the register has been made.

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available