Catering trade, special use permit for outdoor catering

If you want to use public areas for setting up outdoor catering (setting up tables, chairs and parasols for entertainment), you must first apply for a permit for special use. The permit is issued by notification to the applicant and can be provided with requirements, conditions and time limits. Whether and with what ancillary provisions the permit is granted is at the dutiful discretion of the authority.
  • Application (informally, application form or via the online service "Apply for outdoor catering")
  • True-to-scale site plan,
  • Information on the location, type and duration of the special use as well as the size of the required walkway areas and information on the remaining walkway width


  • No restriction on the safety of traffic and no disproportionate impairment of the ease of traffic.
  • No disproportionate restriction on public use or no exclusion for a disproportionate duration.
  • No disproportionate impairment of road components, measures of the road construction load, the surroundings or the environment, urban planning or other public concerns including the generation of income based on the use of the road as well as public or private rights of third parties.
  • Your company must already have a taproom area inside. The outside catering area must not be larger than the inside area of the taproom.

There is no entitlement to a special use permit.


Use may only be started if you have received permission to do so.

Use of the public road space that goes beyond common use or restricts it is a special use. It requires the permission of the road construction authority and is chargeable. It is issued for a limited period and upon revocation and can also contain conditions and obligations.

The use of the outdoor catering area is only permitted in front of the own establishment, i.e. the use must not extend to neighboring establishments. A remaining sidewalk width of at least 1.50 m must remain.

If you operate a catering business that requires a permit, the existing catering permit must be extended for outdoor catering.

If there is a certain number of seats or if structures such as platforms or roofs are to be erected, a building permit may also be required.
Please also use the "Apply for outdoor catering" online service in the Forms, Services and Links area.

For deviations in Business Improvement Districts (BIDs) and design guidelines, see left
  • Section 19 (1) of the Hamburg Roads Act (HWG).
  • Fee schedule for the administration and use of public roads, green spaces and recreational facilities.

Related Links

  • Special uses of public paths
  • Hygiene of beverage dispensing systems
  • Design guide for outdoor catering Dalmannkai
  • Design guidelines for Überseequartier
  • Information for applicants for outdoor catering on public paths
  • Information for outdoor catering on public paths - Dalmannkai, Kaiserkai and places
  • Online service: apply for outdoor catering

Responsible for the content
No information available

Last update or date of publication
No information available