Residence, registration as main residence
Unfortunately this specification of service has not yet been completely translated.
If you move to Hamburg from another city or from abroad, you have to register.
- Registration form - completed (including the name and address of the landlord) and signed
(The form is also available on site)
- Confirmation of the home owner - absolutely necessary! - filled and signed
- Documents of all people moving:
- Identity card and - if available - passport
- Children (up to their 18th birthday): if available, ID and / or passport, otherwise birth certificate; Personal presence is not required - exception: immigration from abroad. In the case of children, the submission of the birth certificate in the appropriate form (international certificate or apostille / legalization carried out by a sworn translator in Germany) as well as the personal appearance of all notifiable persons is required.
- Married / partnered:
- Original marriage certificate
- Both ID cards (if they do not live separately)
- legally binding divorce decree (original)
- original death certificate
- Unmarried and shared apartments:
- Presentation of the identity cards of all persons as well as additional written authorizations of the persons not present
- Holders of an electronic residence permit (eAT)
- the residence permit
- Apartment was moved into.
- or a visit to Hamburg of more than six months from within Germany or three months from abroad.
- Registration only by appearing in person or by an authorized person of legal age.
- The presence of a spouse is sufficient (if the immigration comes from within Germany)
- When moving from abroad, a personal appearance is required for all persons who are required to register.
- If you are staying in Hamburg for more than 6 months from within Germany or 3 months from abroad, you must also register.
- A registration of minors (up to the age of 16) without both legal guardians must always be clarified in advance by telephone with the resident customer center. If a minor resident who has previously lived with both parents in a main residence is transferred to a new main residence by one of the parents, the consent of the other parent, a written agreement between the parents on the child's center of life or a family court decision on the transfer of the the sole right of residence determination must be presented. The same applies if the minor resident's sole or main residence is to be re-registered from the home of one parent to the home of the other parent.
- From the age of 16 you can register without the consent of the guardian.
- Holders of an electronic residence permit (eAT) must also have the address on the residence permit changed.
- If you own a car, the address on the registration certificate Part I (formerly a vehicle registration document) must be changed at the Landesbetrieb Verkehr (see link).
- A dog must also be registered (see link).
- In the case of newborns, the data of the newborn child is automatically transmitted from the registry office to the register of residents when the birth is certified. A separate registration of newborns in the population register is not required.
- It is not necessary to de-register in the previous municipality.
Sections 17 (1,3), 21 (4), 22, 23, 24 (1) BMG, numbers 17.1, 17.3, 22 and 23 General administrative regulation for the implementation of the Federal Registration Act (BMG)
Parking lot barrier for relocation
LBV vehicle registration certificate, change
Dog registration online
Dog ownership, registration
Identity card portal
LBV online services
LBV appointment bookings
Make an appointment online, all customer centers
Form: confirmation of accommodation provider - barrier-free, PDF, 235 KB, 1 page
Form: Registration at the registration office - barrier-free, PDF, 786 KB, 3 pages
Form: Supplement for registering for several apartments from November 1st, 2015 - barrier-free, PDF, 235 KB
Form: Notification about the change of the main residence from 01.11.2015 - barrier-free, PDF, 259 KB
Customer centers Hamburg - overview
There is currently an obligation to make an appointment for a visit to the customer center. For this service you can choose between all customer centers, regardless of where you live.
Responsible for the content
No information available
Last update or date of publication
No information available